Existing Member?

Bangalore and beyond!

Being stared at- grrrh

INDIA | Sunday, 4 November 2012 | Views [277]

Not since I was in primary school and adults used to stare at me then say things to me about my blue eyes ( too self conscious to see it as a compliment, just squirmed with embarassment)  have I been so stared at. Admittedly I am the only white person for miles in the bit of Bangalore that I live and work in but I am not running round in shorts and t shirts. I wear long trousers and longish tops to work. yes I have short hair and have had people direct me away from the woman's toliets and changing rooms in shops  ( always a useful reminder for me to pull my shoulders back and stick me chest out!) but I don't look like I come from planet Zorg. In Mysore where there are loads of white tourists guys kept trying to take my photo. I am beginning to get paranoid. Groups of men or young women will walk past , stare then start giggling or laughing. The laughter probably has nothing to do with me at all but it can really knock my confidence especially if it's one of those days where I'm feeling a wee bit lonely. 

The wee cute children stare and giggle all the time but that is nearly always followed up with a "Hi" or I will say "Hi" and they will break into big smiles and say Hi back but when they become over 4 foot it suddenly isn't cute anymore, just bloody disconcerting.

In shops or restaurants groups will turn around and just stare blatently. Most of the time I try to ignore it but over the last couple of weeks I have become Mrs intolerent. I now just stare back and ask them what their problem is  ( in my best curt English as compared to Kannadar but they always appear to know what I mean)! It doesn't make any difference. if they are going to stare they invariably find it even funnier to be spoken back to by me. Grrrhhh

If I have ever stared at anyone too long in my life I would just like to say "sorry". It won't happen again.

 

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.