Existing Member?

Bangalore and beyond!

Women's work and flip flops!

INDIA | Thursday, 4 October 2012 | Views [253]

The second story of a property is being built next to the school I am working at. it is really interesting on lots of levels watching it being built. Today's shared observation is the amount of the heavy work that the women do.Other foreign folks have commented on it too and we all might be wrong but in my case the men are sitting on the ground mixing cement whilst the women carry the bricks and stones up the stairs on their heads. 2 men will sometimes put the stuff on the woman's scarf covered head and then she will slowly walk up the steps. There are loads of road works happening everywhere too and women are as likely as men are as likely to be working at this. 

Either way none of them wear anything resembling work wear.No fancy padded knee work trousers or hard hats for these guys ( of both genders) just the same clothes as everyday. So that might be saris for the women and sarongs for the guys but it's their feet wear ( or lack of it) that I am in awe of. Flip flops ( batas?) or bare feet. I can't walk 3 steps in flip flops without falling out the back of them and I mince around like nobody's business if I ever have to cross anything more than fine sand in my bare feet!

Respect

 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.