Existing Member?

First World Problems in a Third World Country.

An Eventful Arrival.

INDONESIA | Friday, 9 May 2014 | Views [142] | Scholarship Entry

Welcome to Indonesia; where you are greeted at the airport with a sign reading, "Welcome! Death Penalty for Drug Traffickers!" :)

My solo flight from Melbourne had a two hour stop-over in Bali where I had to change plane before reaching my final destination, Jakarta. At most airports this would be a simple task but they like to keep you on your toes in Indonesia so this is where my adventure begins...

Let me set the scene by having you imagine an episode of the Amazing Race. Contestants are in a dilapidated airport, yelling, crying, and saturated with sweat. Running through terminals in a race against time as they tow their 30kg suitcase, backpack and handbag through a crowd of people that don't speak English.

The customs process in Bali took an hour and a half, leaving me with 30 minutes to collect my luggage, change airports, check in for my next flight and board the plane.

20 minutes before my plane was due to depart I arrived at domestic departures. To my initial relief the line at my check-in point was quite long. Surely the flight was going to be delayed if half of the passengers were yet to check in! 10 minutes before departure the line had barely moved. I asked the woman in front of me if she was waiting for the same flight. She replied, "No, my flight is in an hour".

NOTE TO ANYONE TRAVELING ON A DOMESTIC FLIGHT IN INDONESIA: apparently you can check-in at whichever counter takes your fancy regardless of which flight that check-in port is designated for!!
Squishing my way to the front of the queue I explained my situation to the desk clerk. She told me that my flight had already boarded, was departing in five minutes and to RUN!
With all of my luggage, including my suitcase in tow, I sprinted the length of Denpassar Domestic Terminal yelling "Permissi!" (excuse me) and "Maaf!" (sorry). Skipping the line at customs, I squeezed my 26 inch suitcase through the hand luggage x-ray. I did not wait to see if security would question the scissors and countless other prohibited items that I had in my suitcase before grabbing it and running towards my boarding gate. At gate 20 I watched as Garuda flight 413 reversed away from the airport. Face stained with tears I exclaimed between gasps for air "I need to be on that flight!"
Next thing I know, the plane had stopped and I was being driven out to the plane with all of my luggage. I made it.

Such an eventful start to my seven week Indonesian Adventure leaves with no doubt that I will be bored!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About onthewingsofatravelbug


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Indonesia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.