Existing Member?

Gypsy Road Fun

My little adventure crossing borders

CHINA | Thursday, 1 May 2014 | Views [129] | Scholarship Entry

I had received a scholarship to study at the Xiamen University and I was supposed to reach there on the next day after arriving in Hong Kong for the weekend.
With my natural curiosity I did a small internet research and saw the cheapest way to go from there to Xiamen was by train departing from Shenzhen, right in the corner of Hong kong island.
So, I decided to take the train from Hong Kong to Shenzhen and there take my chances in grabbing the train to Xiamen, since I couldn't purchase the ticket through internet.
When I arrived, as I walked directly to the main train station of Shenzhen, I tried to disguise my panic as hard as I could (I was travelling with a huge suitcase) when I saw only sign written in mandarin (even the numbers!).
I tried to figure out how to go and started asked as many people as possible for directions and help - I was with no Shenzhen map or internet connection over cellphone for a translator to help with the language barrier.
Only after half an hour later, a nice young student told me in english there were no more tickets left for Xiamen since it was Sunday and usually those tickets get sold ou quickly. There were no more trains leaving on the same day and my course was about to start on Monday.
By this, I decided to return to Hong Kong and purchased a one way ticket to Xiamen on the desk (yes, ouch! the price was absurd expensive and almost killed my whole travel budget).
When I reached the passport control, I was quite relieved to be about to end this part of the journey after this long day, when the officer who was examining my passport, took it to another room without me and left about 5 min. I got really concert and started to ask them why they were taking my document for further examination by showing them my acceptance letter of the university.
The other officer said to me to be quiet and I was about to cry, when the first officer returned and asked me why I had crossed the border twice on the same day (luckily I had two entrances Chinese visa for my travel). He thought this was quite unusual for a solo girl foreign traveler and asked me what I was doing. I had told him what happened and with a smile he said next time don´t rely on trains in Shenzhen to continue your travel without speaking Mandarin.
For that, really relieved to get my passport back with more stamps, I just replied: next time, for sure I will be speaking Mandarin.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ontheroadwithagypsygirl


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.