Existing Member?

Alex`s Wonderlife.

How to miss a train

UKRAINE | Sunday, 4 May 2014 | Views [113] | Scholarship Entry

It wasn`t the first time I visited Kiew. But it was the strangest trip in my life. Actually I didn`t even want to go there, but Mary and Daria were crazy about the idea of visiting the capital of Ukraine on the first day of fall. So I waved the white flag and we bought tickets.
The trip began very typical and quite trivial: I cleaned my flat, finished the article for work, fed my cats and closed the door. I had enough time to reach the station. I was standing on the bus stop when Mary called me:
- Are you ready?
- Sure I am. I`m waiting for the bus. - actually, I hate such a questions.
- Great. Dear, can you buy a toothbrush? I left my at home.
- Ok, you will give me money. Something else?
- Buy a bottle of apple sider for me. And for Daria. And for you, if you want to.
Of course, I wanted. I said "ok" and finished the conversation. Suddenly, a bus came.
When I arrived to the underground station, I entered a supermarket. The time seemed endless: I took 3 bottles of sider, a toothbrush, some cheese and bread (to eat en route) and a chewing gum, came up to a queue to the cash deck, payed for purchase. Then I enteren underground.
I was thinking about different things when Mary called me again:
- Are you ready? Where you are?
- I`ve just entered underground.
- Are you crazy? Only 25 minutes before departure! You will be late!

Oh my God. Really. Hov could I forget about my time? No wonder. But then I thought, that I will be in time. And guess what? I missed the train to Kiew. Of course my family thought that I was in the train, but I wasn`t. I didn`t want to stay in Kharkiv, so I called Daria:

- Tell me, what shall I do now? I have only 200 hrivnas and that is all.

Daria answered:

- Mary will check the timetable online. You should be with us. We miss you! And the sider, of course.

Two minutes later Mary called me again:
- You can get to Kiew by bus, it will be the best way to get there. But the ticket costs 160 htivnas.
I was shocked.
- Do you know, that I almost have no money?
- Come on, Alex. I will borrow you. Join us!

I bought the ticket. Fortunately, there were tickets, my journey continued in bus Kharkiv-Kiew. It was full of russian-speaking americans, but my place was near the man, who liked to sleap like sea-star. You know, it isn`t very convenient, when you falling asleep and someone accidentaly hits you.
I came to Kiew very early in the morning. And I wanted to sleep. But finally I met my girls and everything became fine.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About onewomanshow


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ukraine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.