Existing Member?

Ice&Glory

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

RUSSIAN FEDERATION | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [237] | Scholarship Entry

ICE&GLORY

I am watching my step carefully, glaring at the ice on the street threatening my life.

It is a useless move on my part, of course. I fall: freezing and now wet!

A laugh breaks me out of my misery. Rolling my eyes at my friend and guide I look up into the Neva, on my right, just in time to see some mom-duck trying to help her little ones to find their balance on the ice and I smile noticing Aleksandr is doing exactly the same with me. I am a duck, all right.

Then I stop and look back: part of the river is frozen!
“Of course” Sasha looks at me as if I am crazy “It's only march, what did you expect?” I look at him surprised.

“I had never even seen a frozen puddle before!I mean...I barely see snow as it is.”

“really?”

Laughing he offers me his arm. And I keep blinking at him in confusion.

“I am supporting you, I would carry you but...” Supporting?Carrying? Is he for real?

“Just out of curiosity”I interrupt him.

”is the gentleman act a prerogative of yours or it's a common thing?”

“It's manners, Cloe: haven't you noticed all the men trying to carry your bags yesterday or how you never have to open a door?” Well I have noticed, it just seems a bit surreal.

“Different culture” I smile at him accepting his help.

Now that I do not have to focus on the ground I can enjoy Sankt-Peterburg and its splendor. I beam at all the beautiful and ancient buildings on the side of the river marveling at the tidy spatious roads.

And then I stop in wonder because we reach a huge square. Right in front of us stands a glorious elizabethan-baroque palace, looking as if it was rising from the Reka Neva itself.
The sun makes the water look gold and create armonious patterns on the building.

For some reason I am surprised to notice it is colored in a pale green. It may seem stupid, but I am used to natural colored or white palaces. I love the colors, I decide.

I cannot help staring agape at the ancient Winter Palace.

Sighing I imagine the noise of carriages along the way, or a waltz playing.

As I open my eyes I notice that the waltz I was not dreaming: close to some narrow stairs leading to the water, surrounded by pigeons, three guys are playing the violin. And I think they are playing “temps du valse” by Dvorak!

Sasha smiles at my surprise “The conservatory is not far, did you know that Čajkovskij went there too?”

Almost bouncing, I feel like history is waving at us, serene and placid from the waves, and I cannot wait to lose myself inside the Ermitage: I have been waiting so long to see the amazing art resting there!

“well, let's go: beauty is waiting!”

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

 

About onaquest


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Russian Federation

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.