Existing Member?

just want to share

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [129] | Scholarship Entry

It’s 5 o’clock in the morning at Siam Reap-Cambodia. I was at hotel loby and ready for my Angkor Wat journey and waiting for Rady. Rady was a tuktuk driver in Siam Reap who was local and we met one day before that day. I asked him to take me around Angkor Wat with the price we agreed for. After waiting around 5 minutes I saw Rady approaching with his tuktuk, then began the journey. Actually, it’s almost no particular conversation I had with Rady since I was busy with the amazing temples in the place. But finally I can had a very nice conversation with Rady when we’re waiting for sunset at the last temple. I bought couple of coconut there and gave one to Rady. I asked him to sat with me and the conversation flowed. I was so surprised to know his life by his words. In his age of 24, Rady had to work and fight so hard to survive for his life. The tuktuk he used to take me around Angkor Wat was his only treasure. He bought the tuktuk around one previous year. The price of his tuktuk was $600 and he got credit from Bank to pay the price. Every month Rady must pay &80 to the bank until the payment end. TWhen I asked him about his education, Rady told me that he didn’t get any formal education at a formal school for financial reason. His passion to get knowledge and to speak English well, took him to Pagoda for studying. Everyday, at 7.00pm Rady went to Pagoda for studying and had to pay Riel 1000 for one hour as the fee. His life story touched my heart. Actually, Rady taught me a very big lesson that day. I did’t see sadness or any complaint on his face for the life he had to deal with. knowing his life made me determined to appreciate my life, to always be thankful for what I had in my life. No matter it’s small or big. Rady’s dream to be well educated and to be fluent in English opened my mind to follow my dream and never stop getting it. Thank you Rady to let me know your life story and to taught me a very important thing.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About oktooch

at Angkor Wat

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.