Existing Member?

Turkiteece Travel with dear friends in Turkey, then solo in Italy and Greece!

The Road to Agra

INDIA | Sunday, 14 January 2007 | Views [547]

We're back home and clearly, we got lazy about this whole blog business.  I was writing to a friend of mine about our drive to Agra and thought I would post what I wrote here, since it's pretty much what I would have said in the blog:

we got lazy and didn't finish our blog.  it's too bad, too, because i had a really funny blog entry i was going to write next called "the horn hierarchy" about driving in india.  the roads of india are insane and you'd think there's no order to it all, but there is.  order can be seen if you know where to look.  i was able to work out this "horn hierarchy" as i was calling it... auto-rickshaws are low on the list, cars slightly higher, animal-driven carts and animals on their own are lower on the list... at the top of the list are insane government buses.  they are huge, drive fast, and stop for nobody.

we had this insane driver taking us to the taj mahal who did not know his place on the horn hierarchy.  i was joking with howie that this particular driver was under the impression that his was a "horn of divine right" giving some kind of special status on the horn hierarchy.  he would honk at vehicles he had no right to honk at and when they didn't yield, he'd totally stare them down as we drove past.  at once point, someone cut him off or did something he didn't approve of.  our driver tried to push the guy into the center divider, zoomed in front of him and cut him off until the guy was forced to stop.  our driver got out of the car to go back and yell at him.  ROAD RAGE!  while he was out of the car, howie was like, "you know it's bad when indian drivers are looking at him like he's crazy!"

eventually, my dad was able to convince him that we were in no rush and the guy slowed down.  phew!  later on in the drive, i really had to pee and there was nowhere to stop.  we asked, "where do all these people go to the bathroom?"  he said, "in the ditch on the side of the road."  sure enough, every few minutes, there was another person going to the bathroom on the side of the road.  well, when in rome...

POTTY EMERGENCY!  i hopped out of the car and made howie come with me to hold up a coat to give me at least a little privacy.  what i hadn't thought about was the fact that people weren't just going pee in those ditches.  talk about absolutely disgusting!!!  despite my pee panic, i was thankfully able to navigate my way around some filthy stuff.  seriously gross.

the rest of the drive was much more enjoyable since i was no longer worried that we would crash or that i would pee my pants.  i was at peace and free to contemplate how ten people could fit in a single auto-rickshaw, how a family of four could fit on a scooter, how a camel could pull a cart the size of a house, and how much better india would be if they'd invest in a couple million compost toilets.

Tags: On the Road

About oddgrue


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.