Existing Member?

COASTALOBSERVER by sophia rose' "See no evil : Hear no evil : Speak no evil. For beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Money is not everything."

MOTHER NATURES ' Red Night, Shepherds Delight'

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 3 June 2014 | Views [302]

The last weather report handed out severe warnings. It warned of high wild winds reaching over 140 kilometres, heavy torrential rain with major flooding and snow down to 400 below sea level. The forecasters expected the storm to cause havoc in certain areas across the country, especially the South Island, including the Otago region and both Queenstown and Invercargill cities.It was certainly not what I needed to hear, as my Air New Zealand domestic flight was departing Dunedin airport at 4.15pm. I was expected to land in Auckland city by 6.40pm.

The first thoughts of doom started to appear ... "Oh no! A bad flight ahead full of severe turbulence or worst, no flight and stuck at the airport overnight." I quickly dismissed any dark images that began to reform in my mind, as where I stood now awaiting the airport shuttle bus, the sun was shining brightly. There were no signs of any storm brewing and by the time the driver arrived at 2.45pm the day was still like the 'calm before the storm', warm and maybe too good to be true. Knowing the news media can exaggerate at many times, I decided to take the risk and continue onto the airport 28 kilometres away south of the city and just hope the flight would be ahead of the storm, if it should cross the region. I also got myself mentally prepared, should the flight be delayed, at the least reasoning.

There were two other passengers onboard the airport shuttle when it pulled up to the kerb of my street. The lady in front was reading from her mobile phone and the man at the back was sitting quietly contemplating, what next? I threw in my coat and handbag to the seat next to the woman, while the driver loaded up the luggage. I climbed in wondering if the woman sensed any concerns as she seemed so engrossed in her messages. Tap, tap, tap, went her fingers, fast and furious.

Little did we all know what would strike us within half an hour of travel, as Mother Nature stood her ground, storming across the very highway we were entering upon. She came with a force, lashings of wild torrents, wind and rain. Small twists and tornadoes pushing up against the sides of the vehicle, threatening to spin or lift it up from the road, sending it skidding across the centre lines. Billows of dead dry leaves flew onto the windscreen losing all visibility of what was happening right in front of us. The driver was forced to slow down to a stop so he could gain control of the steering wheel. "I have never seen anything like it for a long while", he yelled above the pitch of the screaming rain and stormy noises.

For twenty minutes the driver hung on tightly, white knuckles gripping the steering wheel. Other cars were sliding to a stop banging into the highway signs. The man and woman passengers started to voice their panic. "Stop the van". " Wait for the winds to end".......but the driver, John, was determined to keep moving forward, rather than be stuck like a ' sitting duck' in the 'eye of the storm'.

Then like a miracle appearing out of nowhere, suddenly as quick as she came, Mother Nature was calm again. The rain cleared leaving only the sights of its debris. The wind dropped away to a chilly breeze. "Unbelievable", said the driver. "I thought we would be washed away".

The final announcement from the airline pilot awoke me out of my cat nap."In ten minutes we will be landing in Auckland city. I hope you all enjoyed your flight".....As I sat up I was awakening to the views of red rays and crimson coloured cloud with a deep golden sunset disappearing behind the hills of the West, streaks, rays like crystal prisms glared through the perplexity of the small aircraft window. It really was like 'my cup runneth over '. I felt relieved, thank God for a safe and sound sojourn aboard the ANZBoeing 707.

I remembered all those times my father gave warnings about New Zealand's winter time and how it can be like this, where weather offers four seasons in one day. My past tutors and mentors, friends and personal experiences mount up to assuring i am safe at all times. I try to take extra time to always do a daily weather reality check on internet before setting out, so I am fully aware and can prepare for the unexpected sharp edge of taking adventures, when travelling between the Islands Of New Zealand. 

As I looked out through the airplanes window, across the now darkened Auckland night sky, I was also reminded of how beautiful Mother Nature works for us and how she now welcomed me with a wonderful 'red night, shepherds delight. A blessing from that which follows her wild storms and wettest times, yet as for sure, look what she gives for tommorrow, a sunny, crisp blue sky for me to further enjoy.

I see Mother Natures portfolio of seasons and today's daily weather patterns, is her gift from her to us, as she tucks in the last week of Autumn, in the New Zealand month of May and so she can then welcome in 'hare mai' Matariki Maori New Year, which begins on the first week of June in New Zealand and celebrated as the first day of Winter, on 1st June.

"May we bless our existence as humankind, to respect Mother Nature and her many creatures". The Maori story of Matariki is of the seven stars constellation seen in the New Zealand night sky and Universe and the myth is of the seven sisters who represent those that can also follow such good wisdom and advice to care for Mother Nature in return. The red night represents the closing of a season and the opening to a new beginning and sunrise. Restoring the Soul.

 A shepherds delight!

 

Tags: faith, flying domestic, mother nature, new zealand seasons and weather, sunsets

About nzfreespirit-worldclasstravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.