Existing Member?

Biting the World

Mahdia

TUNISIA | Tuesday, 26 May 2015 | Views [188] | Scholarship Entry

As I stepped off the train, I felt drunk on the intense smell of the salt water that crashed against the shore only metres away. As our feet drove us forward, we felt the city's grip pull us eagerly in towards it; tightening as we got ever closer. In what felt like only moments, we had reached the medina, and the main entrance left us speechless.

The colossal height of its walls towered over us, and I felt insignificant as it stood 10 metres above me. Advancing along the grey stone pavement, we came upon a square, sprinkled with banana trees. In their shadow, men sipped tea serenely, indifferent to the overwhelming noise in the streets. Soaking in the sights of the famous Place Du Caire, it became apparent to me that only males were entitled to sit whilst drinking their choice of beverage. This had been my first experience in a place with gender segregations were in place, but rather than feel uncomfortable as I had anticipated I might be, I felt grateful to be engrossed in such a different culture to my own. We drank in the salty smell of the city as we wandered, and before we knew it we had reached the charming Cape Africa. Its landscape was a stunning collection of sights: a beautiful red lighthouse, an ocean backdrop around it spotless muslim graves. An amazing contrast. The mixture of shapes, colours and smells formed the most perfect place for me to be, and moulded for me the most picturesque setting of Tunisia.

Heading back towards the historical centre, we were transfixed by the colours of the buildings, the unique architecture became engraved in my brain, and I knew I would never forget this place. In that moment, I realised that my time was running out; I had to depart before midday to the city of El Djem, home to the biggest Roman amphitheatre in Africa. Although I felt like I had seen so much of Mahdia, I felt an unwillingness to depart from it.

Looking back, I understand now what happened to the city and myself. We connected. The peace and clarity of mind that it instilled in me is inexplicable. Despite stumbling upon it as simply a connection to my next destination, it instantly became my oasis in the Catholic country, and I urge everyone to visit the extremely beautiful place in the heart of Tunisia.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About nuriaesquerda

Driving across South of Tunisia. In our way to Chebikah, Tamerzah and Neftah.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Tunisia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.