Existing Member?

The Prided Barbeque of Cebu City

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 6 April 2012 | Views [308] | Scholarship Entry

It was just seven in the evening but the street along Fuente Osmena at the heart of Cebu City was already bustling with night life. I can hear the sounds of jeepney’s engines and their horns. I could see the giant buildings and hotels towering the old ones. In this part of the city, the modern architecture met those from the Spanish era. The fountain inside the rotunda stood prominently as if watching every activity within the area. Some establishments were starting to close while others such as those who sell cigarettes and candies were just beginning to put their stools and tables not far from the sidewalk. There were children selling sampaguita garlands to people who come on their way. I saw my two friends waving at me. They were standing outside ‘Larsian sa Fuente’ or simply known as Larsian. The smell from the grilled pork and seafood invaded my senses. I inhaled it like the air I breathe. It was not just the smell that invaded my senses, the smoke too. Larsian is a place where you can see a lot of barbeque stalls inside. The combined smoke from the burning charcoal hurt my eyes. I couldn’t open my eyes for a second or two. Surprisingly, despite the smoke, the place was crowded. From group of friends, business associates based on their attire, families, and tourists, you could see them around. My friend ordered pork barbecue and ‘isaw’ or chicken intestines. Isaw is my favorite. It would feel like rubber in one’s mouth but it was easy to eat. Plus, it tastes delicious. Along with it was puso or traditional hanging rice wrapped in coconut leaves.The taste assaulted every corner of my mouth leaving an after taste that makes me crave for more. Eating at Larsian was like going back to basics. No utensils, just my hands. I felt traditional and cowboy. After we finished eating, we walked outside while hoping to be here again. As the jeepney started to move, it began to disappear, leaving only the smell of barbeque in my t-shirt and the aftertaste in my mouth.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About nuelene


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.