Existing Member?

Learning for a life-time

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

WORLDWIDE | Thursday, 19 April 2012 | Views [357] | Scholarship Entry

There’s an Indonesian proverb, minang food is million people’s food. That proverb came from the reality, that almost everyone in Indonesia like minang food. Most of them eat minang food at least once in a month. That’s probably won’t happen with Sundanese, Javanese, Balinese, or any other food from the other region. The flavor is original and matches the taste of Indonesian people, that’s why they really love the minang food.

An example, one of the most popular food of minang, rendang. You can find rendang in almost every region in Indonesia. But in most region, rendang has been adapted to the local flavor. In Java, rendang tastes less spicy than the original. And the soup is less thick, the meat is tender. The original one has strong spices, the soup is almost solid, the meat is hard to chew. The differences came from the cooking process which takes more time for the original, in order to make it more durable, for the food supply in hard times, or for the stock for those who are going to haji.

Nowadays, the shipping companies such as Pos Indonesia, are releasing a program that able to ship rendang with special packaging. No doubt, the program is success, many of minang people are excited to ship their rendang across the region, so that their family or friends could feel the sense of their home, even just in a little moment of a lick.

Not only as an icon of minang food, but also as a metaphor symbol of minang people’s character. Like rendang that can adapt with the region it’s been served, minang people are also can easily bonding with the environment and atmosphere without losing their character. Minang people also have a precautionary habit for the future, just like rendang that can be kept for months. Pure affection and intend to share are minang people’s essentials. They will always share, even when the distance is matter. That best described by how rendang can be eaten by everyone, everywhere, everytime, the intention to share is always exist.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About nshafiraj


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.