Existing Member?

Just uh Travelin'

Just another Sunday in London

USA | Monday, 10 October 2011 | Views [398]

As I am sitting here waiting for the Packers game to come on, I figured I would give you a run down of what my typical class week is like. (Yes, it is 12:30am here, and the game doesn't come on until 1:30am)..dedicated fan here.

Monday:

I have Geology lecture at 9am at Penrhyn Road, which means I have to catch the bus from the Kingston Hill Uni. I try to leave the house by 8-8:15 so I have enough time to walk and catch the bus. I also try to leave early because they will close the doors once the bus is full and it is no fun when the person in front of you gets on, but you don't, and have to wait another 15 mins.

Depending on the time I get there, I can stop to grab a coffee/tea, or just head straight to lecture.

I have a break from 11-1 where I normally meet up with friends and walk to a sandwich shop to have lunch. There are many places all around the campus to eat and most places have lunch specials. I can get a sandwich, crisps (potato chips), and a drink for 3 pounds. Sandwiches I have had here are the best I have ever had.

I then head back to campus for my Geology Tutorial, or Lab, which runs from 1-3. It is pretty self explanatory, we work in groups to complete the assigned lab. There is an instructor plus two tutors walking around if we have any questions.

We get let out of class about 10 minutes early and luckily, my Operations Management class is on the same campus so I have enough time to get there. We have lecture for the first hour/hour and a half, then for the rest of the time, we have a tutorial. Group A and Group B stay for the tutorial alternating weeks.

After class, I generally either meet up with people to grab a bit to eat in town, or head back to my place to cook with my housemate Remmy, and we make some good dinners!

Tuesday:

Once again I have class at Penrhyn Road at 9am. So I leave the house by 8:15 to make it on time. Electronic Business Processes, EBP, has its tutorial first, so we meet in a computer lab to work on our projects/assignments together. My professor combined the EBP tutorial with one of her other class tutorials, so there is really two classes in the lab. This makes for a much more independent tutorial session. We had to make groups for our projects, so I am with two second year students from the UK, and one second year student who is from Poland. I really like our group because everyone takes part and we have some in depth and knowledgeable discussions and debates over different topics we should/should not include in our project.

We are free to leave 10-15 minutes early for a break, or if we need to use the bathroom or get a drink/snack. We then have to be in lecture by 11. Professors here are very strict about allowing people in. We have to swipe our card to have access to the classroom, so if you show up more than 5 past the hour, they will tell you to go home, or come back after break for the second half of class. We normally get a 5 minute break after the first hour.


After class, I either meet up with some friends for dinner, or once again head back to my place and cook some delicious food.


Wednesday and Thursday
:

Off.

Off, as in no classes that is. I use my free time to normally do my homework/go to the library and I also catch up on stuff that needs to be done whether it is groceries, laundry, or cleaning up my room. Sometimes I will meet people in town for a bit to eat for lunch in between their classes, so it forces me to get up in the morning and not catch a few more zzz's.


With group projects more of a focus here as well, we also set up times to meet and discuss/work on our projects/papers. I always try to vote for Wed/Thurs since it works best for me, but it really comes down to when everyone is free.

Friday:

I have my class, Business Environment, from 2-5, with the first hour being a lecture, the next two being a tutorial. I really enjoy this tutorial because the teacher brings up the topic for the tutorial, and lets us take up a debate.


Well, that is all for now. I have had a long day. I woke up at 6am to catch a bus/train to London and then on a tour of Windsor, Bath, and Stonehenge. I was then dropped back off in London and had to catch the train back to Kingston. I will write a post about the trip here in the next couple of days and be sure to upload some pictures. This same student tour company is offering a trip to Amsterdam next weekend, which I am considering going on. Hopefully I will have my decision made up here soon.

I also booked my flights for over break. I will be flying into Poland and going to Auschwitz, and then catching a flight to Trapani in Southern Italy, and then onto Barcelona for the last part of the break. I am catching a flight back to London a day early since The Airborne Toxic Event is playing here, and well, I couldn't miss their show here.

Well..GO PACK GO!


Night!

-Nick

About nrpope


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.