Existing Member?

written from the heart

Heinsberg

SOUTH AFRICA | Friday, 15 May 2015 | Views [202] | Scholarship Entry

Heinsberg: My First Breath

There is always a page in the Oprah magazine called Breathing Space; the pictures are so breath taking you almost have a heart attack because you are not there. Regardless of the well shot images I always felt like there was something missing, something intimate and engulfing that leaves a mark on the soul.

I found this missing piece on a high school trip to Henisberg (South Africa), the trip was very scary because we road on a mountain with a snaky road and at times they was loads of mist. The mountain gave us a hint that Heinsberg was a place filled with trees in fact with every kilometre we were feasting our eyes on beautiful large green trees by the time we saw Heinsberg we were ready for an adventure. We went to a camp called warriors which was located on a large farm with loads of green trees. I was fortunate to sleep with a couple of my friends and class mates on a nice cabin, the true beauty of it was that we had a veranda slash balcony with a bunch of large green trees. I had never seen so many trees in my life! It was as if I went back to the Stone Age or better: Eden. The moment was so captivating that I sat down and just stared at the genesis of mankind. Then it happened, I felt it running down my nostrils, into my lungs and straight to my soul. I began to breathe real air; it was perfect uncontaminated or hindered air. I was shocked that air could be clean, clear and calming. It was a breath of heaven, better than perfume and words cannot smell it even if they were written by Shakespeare.

I always felt sorry for people that live in farms or remote places because they didn’t have a nearby phone, MacDonald’s and hardly had a car to travel in. I failed to recognise that the beauty of the city is never truly beauty when it doesn’t smell right.

I am sure your nose is itching for the smell of the tresses in Heinsberg but considering the distance, your job, responsibilities and wallet your heart just sank. Not to worry, many places can be duplicated although I still encourage that you visit Heinsberg because it is simply irreplaceable. You can visit an area in your country or a nearby county which is dominated by tresses. If all hope is lost go to the park, get a garden or have a small pot with a plant and save up for Heinsberg.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About nozipho


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.