Existing Member?

Every day is a new journey

My 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip entry

LITHUANIA | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [79] | Scholarship Entry

Who said that it is impossible to hitchhike for 8 students and one German Shepherd Dog? that it's impossible to travel and sleep comfortable outside, when the temperature is lower than 0.

It was early march, and the spring was just started in Lithuania. There was no snow, but the temperature was only a few degrees above zero. Our goal was to hitchhike to the sea, which was 300km away from the capital, and spend several days.
We started on the sunny Friday morning. Weather was great. We went to the end of the town, where we started to hitchhike . It was the first time of hitchhiking, for half of us. So they were a little bit confused and excited. We split into pairs, boy and a girl, and started to stop cars. The first car stopped after a 15minutes. We asked, can they carry a dog, and when they accepted, a boy and girl with German Shepherd Dog started their journey. We always did like that: we tried to get a car for a dog, and for those who didn't have experience on hitchhiking , at first.
Finally, successfully we reached our destination after 7hours. We all were very excited, and shared our adventure. Someone got a business lecture, while driving. Others meet a man who saw the aliens in the past. And someone met a friendly hunter, who said that they looks like his children. Most drivers were surprised, how we can camp outside, in early spring, it is cold.
It was just before sunset. We were in the ferry sailing to the Curonian Spit. The fresh wind was blowing from the water, white seagulls were flying in the air. We got out of the ferry after 7minutes. went through the pine forest, and now 1km breadth sand line separated us from the sea. The last 100metres we crossed by running up to the sand dune, till we saw the sea.
It was evening, the sun was gone down, the sky was gray, we were remarkably happy. We were running barefoot on the sand, wading in the freezing sea waves. The dog was happy to, seeing as playing around.
we traveled along the sea coast the next two days. We spent nights in the forest. Sleeping in a sleeping bag, sheltered with tarpaulin. Before the sleep we used to dance some traditional dance, to get warm. The most amazing sight I saw, was sea at night. The moon was full, and it was hanging above the middle of the sea. To see were black like a tar, and white wave spray were traveling through it.
The sea was so huge. There was quiet around, so the sound of the waves were strong and and resounding. It feels like you were in huge acoustic hall.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nowalls


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Lithuania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.