Existing Member?

TravelMania

Saint Catherine

EGYPT | Saturday, 10 May 2014 | Views [199] | Scholarship Entry

I felt the pebbles under my feet, it was stupid of me to wear sneakers with such thin soles, there was nothing but darkness ahead and the little circular spots of light from our torches shattered here and there all over the mountain, a group of guys passed me running and singing, I smiled at the sound of their laughter taking in a deep breath of the cool freezing air I normally never get to experience.
I was looking at the darkness ahead and remembering the one hell of a bus trip we just took, it took us over 12 hours to reach a 7 hour destination, causing us to cancel a lot of our stops just so we could reach the top of Mount Sinai at dawn so we could see the sun rise of what is said to be one of the most beautiful scenes you could experience in Egypt.
With the sun rise getting closer and little rays lighting up the sky a little bit the scene was starting to show, everywhere you looked there was mountains a little smaller than the one we were on, except for one that was a few meters tall, the one that the whole area is named after, the saint Catherine mountain with snow covering it's top which is a seen you rarely see in Egypt.
With the silence beginning to spread everywhere from everyone being awfully tired, I could hear my heavy breathing, I sat to rest for a few minutes on a huge rock that was slightly uncomfortable, took a few pictures and enjoyed the scene with nothing interrupting me but the heart beats pounding into my ears.
After 2 and half hours, and 750 large rock steps that left my leg muscles aching for days, I reached the top of the mountain. Although we didn't get to see the sun rise from up there but the view was still definitely beautiful and I was honestly surprised, I have always felt like beauty is in the sea and greenery but never in mountains and desert but that day I knew that beauty can be anywhere if you take the time look for it and take it all in.
We met one of the Bedouin locals on the way down, and upon talking with him, I realized that they are nothing like we paint them to be, they were friendly and helpful people that are treated unjustly due to the wrong misconceptions and stereotypes.
This journey was the first time I knew why am I so passionate about travelling so much even though I haven’t been in a lot of places, it’s the bits and pieces of yourself that you discover along the way and you never knew you had, it’s the eye opening experiences it puts you through and the new perspectives that you will now forever hold.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nouraelatreby


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Egypt

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.