Existing Member?

letlooseontheworld

FALSE START

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 5 March 2007 | Views [430] | Comments [2]

Well, a certain friend known as Les Bridgeland jokingly suggested that I was actually going nowhere and would write a whole load of guff about travelling the world from a darkened room in Emmer Green. How I laughed when I got that e-mail, but it turns out that Les might have a fairly effecient crystal ball (which he should see the doctor about) because four days after my trip should have started, I am still in Reading.

I know this will turn into a great anecdote at some time in the future but at the moment I am still feeling like a prize idiot. How could anything go wrong on a trip planned by a woman who has had her rucksack packed for a month? The simple answer to that is that I had to fly via the USA to get to Lima. I turned up at Heathrow on 1 March and queued at the check-in feeling slightly nervous and feverish from lack of sleep only to be told most politely that my trusty passport, issued in Baku, is not machine-readable so I am not allowed to get onto a flight to the USA even though I was only due to spend four hours in Miami...

I wanted to curl up into a pathetic heap in the middle of Terminal 3 but a very efficient and kind BA woman would not allow me to do that. Instead of flying off on my adventure, I ended up heading back to Reading and giving poor Magda the shock of her life when I went into Tesco to replenish my empty fridge as she had dropped me off at the bus station that morning expecting not to see me for a year, then only a matter of hours later I was nudging my trolley into the back of her knees in Tesco, Reading.

The plan now is that my whole trip is deferred for a month, giving me time to get up to London to get a new passport - I start my Spanish course in April and get only a month to travel around Peru once my volunteer project is over, but the rest of the trip should be on schedule... however, after this false start I am more convinced than ever that I might need my friends to chip in and contribute to my bail fund at some point in the not-too-distant future. Ho-hum. Anyway, I hope this gives a few of you a good laugh. The moral of the story - avoid the USA!

Anyway, hope you'll all be checking in a month from now to see if it's second time lucky as I really don't think regaling you with tales of derring-do from Reading is really worthwhile.

Tags: I should have known better!

Comments

1

Oh poor you. That must be tough, still you get to witness spring which is coming on rapidly. Right I shall check you out in a month. Love Sarah

  sarah lakin Mar 11, 2007 10:22 PM

2

Hi, I used to be friends with a fellow named Les Bridgeland, met him while travelling in 1979 in Yugoslavia and the last address I have is in Cookham Rise, Berkshire, girlfriend named Marie. I would like to say hi again if it is the same person if anyone knows him.
Thanks
Liz Jones,
Ontario, Canada

  Liz Jones Oct 12, 2007 5:08 AM

About notsowildrover


Follow Me

Where I've been

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.