Existing Member?

Not Your Friend's Trip to Anytown U.S.A.

The Sentinel of Shoshone Point

USA | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [73] | Scholarship Entry

Sometimes the best experiences come from places identified by mile markers, not signs. At the Grand Canyon, in between milepost 244 and 245 on the East Rim Drive, there is an unassuming, unmarked dirt parking lot with a maximum capacity of about 6 cars. There is a one lane, well traveled dirt road leading up through the pines. Don't mind the gate; it's easy to step around. You aren't trespassing. A closed gate just means there is no wedding or official event to spoil your experience once you make it to the point.
When visiting the Grand Canyon, it's easy to follow the packs of tourists to the Bright Angel Trail or El Tovar, even Hermit's Rest. But Shoshone Point offers not only a completely different perspective of The Canyon, but also the ability to enjoy a private, or nearly so, experience with it. It's no coincidence that this is the spot that the President and foreign dignitaries are shown when they visit. Additionally it can be reserved for weddings or memorial events. But if you catch it on an off day, which is easy to do, it is an unparalleled nature high five.
As you walk up the dirt road through the pine trees, it's easy to forget how close you are to the canyon. But once the low incline ends at the tree line, you see the side to side unbroken panorama of sky in front of you, a signal that you are near the rim. Walk past the covered area with picnic tables; your celebration today will not include anything made by man.
A few steps further and you get your first view of The Sentinel. There's no official name for 15 or so foot high limestone formation jutting out at the edge of the chasm, but the first time I saw it I named it The Sentinel, so that's what it is to me. You might call it something else, but it is definitely an entity, definitely something that needs a name.
Those with fears of heights would be fine to observe from that spot. Excellent canyon views surround you, void of hikers or crowds. The more adventurous can go further out to meet The Sentinel one on one. The path is one that would only seem narrow at someplace like the Grand Canyon. If there is a brisk wind on the day you walk it, you'll be lying if you say you don't feel a slight twinge of fear as you move along the path. Don't be surprised if you see an eagle hovering in the sky out in front of you.
And then you are next to him, seeing his view: the layer upon layer of ribboned stone carved by the thread of a river you see far below, millions of years in the making.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About notjustdesert


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.