Existing Member?

Serendipity

Need some serendipity?

FRANCE | Thursday, 15 May 2014 | Views [241] | Scholarship Entry

Have you ever felt like not living your life to the fullest? I was kind of born with that thing. It even had the temerity to follow me in Nice when I was sent from my university to spend a semester. North France, oh la la! Having the chance to live like a local in the second in tourism French city was more than luck. Who couldn’t get enchanted with the way the modern architecture embraces the picturesque old town, the way the wind blows your hair and eventually your mind in the absolutely inspirational root of “Promenade des Anglais” right next to the beach, or the breathtaking view from the Chateau, the city’s magical highest spot. But yet it was like having a small (with tendencies to fatten) space inside me that was never fully satisfied. I had a bucket list and I was anxious that I would tick everything on it and the inner fulfillment would never come. Like living the trailer, that may was cool enough, but always waiting for the real movie to start. Well, serendipity found me just when I was one step before grabbing the pop-corn and lay on the couch to wait for it. It was a casual evening at the residence, preparing dinner (aka ordering pizza), when my Algerian friend Sammy proposed we could move the “party” at the beach, a few minutes away to meet our Spanish friends and so we did. It seemed like there was a music festival just about to start, Crossover Festival…or what I know call my experience of serendipity. You know; that amazing thing of finding something good without looking for it. The concert started, right on the beach, I haven’t even seen the first singer yet, when the sound met my ears I couldn’t believe it. It was Chet Faker, one of my favorite artists singing my favorite song “I’m into you” right in front of my eyes, right next to my residence (and for free). How lucky was I to live this, but more to finally appreciate what I’m living. That wonderful sound, the beautiful night, the calm but at the same time full of energy beach, my friends dancing, our smiles. I will never forget this night that changed my whole perspective. Maybe that was what I needed, to change a little my perspective. Simply like this. Because just like your first love doesn’t necessarily have to be the first person, your life-changing experience doesn’t have to be the first place you visit. It is maybe the first little thing you notice. I ripped my stupid bucket list, I now know. Serendipity is always there, just waiting to get noticed.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About notallthosewhowanderarelost


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.