Existing Member?

Colombia

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry

COLOMBIA | Saturday, 29 January 2011 | Views [153] | Scholarship Entry

The essence of ‘Travel’ encompasses many different connotations. It is the feeling of being free. It is the knowing that you will meet new people. It is rush of trying new things. It is the vacuum of uncertainty, and it is the appreciation of adventure. Recently, the latter association has diminished. With tour guides ever popular and risk ever scarce, the homemade heart of travel is increasingly becoming the tailor made invention. But, In searching for adventure, the North of the South fruitfully delivers in America.
Colombia’s contemporary history has left an unfortunate, somewhat unapprised scar on general perception. Once known as the drug capital of the world its association with these dangerous markets has typically led tourists to stay well away from it. Even as recently as 2003 Colombia had less than half a million tourists. But with the election of Álvaro Uribe Vélez this has predominantly changed.
The country doesn’t lack in tourist appeal, in fact, it is copious. If you visited Cape Town for Table mountain, you would be just as pleased with the sights of Monserrate. If you journeyed to Paris in search of culture, your day would be just as filled with the museums ,art galleries and architecture of Bogota. If your eyes were set on the grandeur of Santa Maria, you would be equally wowed by Cathedral de Sal. But what you might not find is the touristy feeling of monotony. This ‘traveller effect’ over the ‘tourist effect’ leaves a ‘corridor of uncertainty’ that is irreplaceable by modern standards .

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About northofthesouth


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Colombia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.