Existing Member?

Northern Observer

Nica Noise

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 14 November 2006 | Views [693]

Waking up to the loud bang of Nicaragua fireworks is always an experience. These are the upright steel mortars packed with enough power to make a very loud bang and not much more, but it is a common pastime of some Nicas. Although I had heard them many times on my first trip to Nicaragua, it's funny how the memory fades. This time it was different, that's gunfire isn't it? I'm so sleepy, athough I should be on the floor, I'm too tired to move. What happens outside these walls I have no control over. mmm, maybe it's just fireworks? I pull the sheets over my head for protection and fall back asleep.

Fast forward to Granada, and it's 4 am. "Bang", pause "Bang", okay this time I'm less sleepy and that is definitely fireworks. They must be within 50' of the walls of my room again. Like I mentioned before, these are not a visual spectacle, they are more noise than anything. I really would like to go out and join them but common sense prevails. For now, the geckos and I will be content to just kick back and listen.

Now it's after 7:00 am, and the light from the steet is shining into the window that's too high to look out. The "bangs" are now less frequent but still there. I know the owner will be up having coffee and I decide to get up and join him. I'm hoping to getup in time to take in a little of the street activity.

The coffee is strong and delicious and I stay for a couple cups. The fireworks have stopped and the sounds have been replaced by the venders chants "mango,mango,mango". It's a new day and one I think I might dedicate to hiking around Mombacho Volcanoe.

I get directions from the owner and then a few more directions at the Shell Station. I arrive on foot at the bus station. A driver directs me to the bus to Rivas, and I climb aboard. 3 people sitting on the bus infers this bus isn't leaving for a while. I climb off and kill time taking in my surroundings. The wall behind me has an interesting security system which is simple but effective inverted broken beer bottles embedded along the top of the cement wall. Time finally approaches 11:00 and more people show up and we leave promptly on time.

I'm thankful that the bus isn't too crowded as the heat isn't appreciated as we crawl along the street at less than break neck speed. It's obvious besides avoiding potholes we are winding through a few neughborhoods hoping to pickup a few more customers.

When the bus slows down I hop off at the road to the entrance to Mombacho Park. It's an enjoyable 1.5 km walk to the park entrance. The truck to the top is about to leave so I hurry and pay but learn, it's reserved for a US medical team visitng the Volcanoe. After and hour and a half the truck returns and I climb aboard with a new group of people. Half way up we stop at a coffee plantation and enjoy an exceptional cup of coffee. The sun is shining and I'm really looking forward to the trails up top.

Back on the steep winding road, it starts to pour. Not just alittle but your more typical central american rainforest downpour. I'm glad the truck has a tarp roof but the sides are open so we all get a little wet.

Arriving near the top we offload at the park building at the top, rush inside, grab another coffee and listen to the rain. Somepeople are coming back from the trails looking like drowned rats. Looking like a fellow american I get introduced to the US medical Team. I'm happy to learn they have come to Nicaragua and setup at the Managua garbage dump where unfortunately many people live outside the worlds eyes.  Eventually, it stops raining long enough that myself and a French Engineer I've been chatting with head out on a trail. It looks like the rain will be back soon, so we start jogging to ensure we see atleast something. The viewpoint of the crater is nothing but fog, so we continue on. When we arrive at the north side of the trail the weather has broke somewhat and now we have an excelllent view of Granada and the Isletas. Another day rescued!

Back at the highway to Granada, a worn out toyota pulls over and asks if we want a ride for 10 cordobas each. My french friend and I jump in and head back to Granada. Another, great unplanned day. 

Tags: Adventures

About northern_observer


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.