Existing Member?

Travels and holidays

Florence

ITALY | Sunday, 4 August 2013 | Views [243]

Friday 26 July 2013

 
After some discussions with Karen we changed our plans leaving San Baranto for Florence for the evening so we were close to the train to depart for Milan enroute to home while Karen will head to London and The Ritz.
 
We stayed at the Hotel Rivoli on Via della Scala within walking distance of the railway station.  Stinking hot once again (approx. 40 degrees) so we enjoyed a light lunch and drinks in the cool (misting equipped) courtyard of the hotel.  A local wine per-dinner then we walked into the city aiming at a restaurant the girls had seen on Tuesday  for dinner around 9.00pm.  Florence was just lovely to walk around in the evening as the streets were quieter (the hordes of tourists not there...) and obviously a bit cooler.  As we walked around we came across the most magical event.  In one of old streets there was a group of men all dressed up in old Florentine costumes.  We had a chat to one of them and he advised they were members of the historical society and that today (Friday 26 July) was the day for Saint Anna who was the original Patron Saint for Florence.  So of course we hung around and then watched the group procession, with drums and trumpets, proceed through the streets of Florence to their final destination of il Duomo.  It was wonderful, colourful and noisy and we were just so lucky to be there at the right time.  
 
After dinner, on our return to the hotel, we had a nightcap Campari and soda for Karen a Cosmo for me and Michelle declined in the courtyard.

 

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.