Existing Member?

australian discoveries

Perth, jobs and the southwest

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 29 December 2011 | Views [420]

So i got to Perth and had to find work.  I was lucky to find a job pretty quickly but i needed to ship off quickly back up north to Perenjori which is close to the rabbit proof fence.  Other than that they are known for their wildflowers.  Also the farmer i was working for was part of a Guinness world record of headers drivers harvesting wheat.  There were 56 headers in one field.  But for work i did odd jobs and also learned to fit tires.  I helped to change some tires that were over 10 feet tall but most were car and road train tires.  But this job ended early as ran out of work.  Then back to Perth.  Had some time so travelled to the Pinnacles.  Then found a new job milking cows down outside of Bunbury.  From here i have been able to explore the southwest from Margaret River to the valley of the giants in Walpole.  In the southwest it is very different areas close to each other from desert to beautiful coastline to vast forests and then there were the underground cave to explore as well.  I got to see a few of these things.  Exploring some of these cave in Margaret River were amazing.  There were some close quarters but also very rewarding once we got into the caves.  It is amazing the structures created by water simply filtering itself through the ground.  Then to go outside and be within 5 minutes to the beach in one direction and 5 minutes to the forest or wine region in the other directions is quite astonishing.  This was my first adventure out into the southwest, where I also went all the way down to the cape Leeuwin lighthouse which is the point where the great southern ocean meets the Indian Ocean.  Very windy here and also it had brought up a nice storm so not many pictures of it.  My next big adventure happened after my birthday and that was to go explore down to Walpole and see the giant forest.  I stopped in Pemberton to do some tree climbing which is basically you climb a tree that is 60 meters high by climbing up these poles that have been sunk into the trunk of the tree all the way to the top.  It is a little daunting and also tiring to do but the experience and the view over the canopy of trees was well worth it.   I then went further down to see the valley of the giants and walked the tree top walk which was interesting as it is suspended bridges that are made to move like the trees themselves so on a windy day like it was there was some good movement going through the trees.  It was a very nice walk.  Then I did a few walks on the forest floor where I got a chance to go inside a hollowed out tree. And then I spent the rest of the day at the Mandalay beach which was a beautiful beach that I had all to myself for the afternoon.  Nothing like you would get back in Canada.  The next morning I spent my time on a cruise around the inlet to Walpole before heading back to Bunbury.  Our guide was very energetic and very knowledgeable.  His family had been doing these cruises since the end of WW1 and had been living in the area for well over 100 years.  He was able to explain how different people had come and gone in the town and different people to stay as well there was a connection to Lenard Tolstoy and one of his helpers actually lived in Walpole and they had uncovered a chest with some original writings in it in a little barn off the inlet.  It was pretty interesting also we had our walk out to the coast on the inlet.    Then back to work.  This was my last big excursion but I did make a small one out to the Busselton jetty which is the longest wooden pile jetty in the southern hemisphere.  It also has an underwater observatory which takes you 8 meters under the surface of the water.  Quite interesting as there are windows along the way down so you can see the different stages of the tidal system.  I have finished work and back to Perth.  Took a trip over to Rottnest and spent the day travelling by bike around the island.  Saw a few wrecks and lots of stunning coast off the island.  I had a nice relaxing day.  The next day I went to the marine museum in Freemantle and took a tour of a submarine.  Found out that I would never be able to be a submariner as I barely fit through some of the spaces and also I would not fit in the beds.  Then it was trying to find a way out of Perth over east.  I found a rental relocation program and picked up a van and a partner to head east.  The next stage of the adventure begins.

About nooltn


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.