Existing Member?

Cluster de Riflessione

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - Journey in an Unknown Culture

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 28 March 2011 | Views [263] | Scholarship Entry

In the vacant slot for destination on the immigration pass, writing Maldives stirs up a silly churn in the belly. And however planned we may seem, we’re determined to burst the the fun pinatas to the max.
     At least four adventures have been counted in as promised in each of the nine atolls i.e paragliding, para-sailing, night fishing and snorkeling. Now the word ‘Atoll’ might sound foreign to the ears, if properly lent without plugs. It isn’t a misheard Britt either, refusing to buy anything at’oll! (at all ). The word hails from the native language Dhivehi, for an island of corals surrounded by a lagoon partially or completely.
I turn my gaze below from the side porthole. A vast blend of sea-green and blue stretches as far as the eyes see . Admiring the generosity of the Arabian sea becomes irresolute here which hosts more then three thousand Maldivian islands.
     I am at this point quite diverted at the residents of this exquisite land.   Maldivians are known for their hospitality. They’ve dwelled amiably in peace for centuries as dhivehins the islanders under three known eras. Buddhism, Islam and British Imperialism after which the land lost monarchy to be a Republic. Trade and tourism remains its leading occupation. Enough facts? don’t yawn. The call of landing has just been made. Germ like islands have grown visible on the face of the globe.
   The jet eventually dives in over the Indian ocean. Our first atoll Male’ waves at us from beneath. Being the capital and an international airport stretching more than 5 square kilometers on the sea’s blanket. The breezy landing refreshes the wits and the excitement grows as we step out of the taxied aircraft.

Hut 543 & the Maldivians!

The island harbors such peace at its shores that it feels almost like heaven. Soldiers may think about retiring here after the war. However our wait ends as Mr Rasheed the friend of dad’s, greets and escorts us to the airport lobby.
   Outside, a speedboat dangles restlessly to get hopped into.Fifteen minutes later we have sailed across the emerald waters, watching flying fishes compete with the para-gliders on the way to the Bandos Island Resort .Mr Afif the guest-service in charge, wipes our faces with hot towels, now not literally! . Sigh the day finally sets in. And we recoil into our shells, exhausted before greeting a new day in the land of lagoons.
   I came in terms with a lot of natives during the visit . The generous air propelling them, draws you near instantly. Crime rate is minimal as a by product of cultural simplicity and honest dealings . Sea-food is the main cuisine and swimming is enjoined upon them from an early age. People have a close bond with spirituality, as their history clarifies the notion behind their conversion to Islam .The overwhelming trip concludes after fourteen days, with a salute to the warm-hearted islanders making this trip as remarkable as it could get! Dhanee!

Tags: #2011writing, travel writing scholarship 2011

About nomicallyaware


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.