Existing Member?

a culture of contrast

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Tuesday, 24 April 2012 | Views [274] | Scholarship Entry

It was 8'0 clock in the morning and the bus was almost full, our destination Ghana.
I quickly secured my seat as i have booked a tickect some few days earlier.
I have heard much about the Asante people of Ghana during my first visit as a final year degree student, but the travel itinerary would not be changed for anybody's cause and of course i picked interest and planned for a re-visit, this time it was for the coronation of a new Asanti king.
We got to Ghana late in the night and everybody retired into his/her hotel room .
The next morning , i was full of life and anxiety because of course, i was o experience a culture far different from mine.
I wore my piece o "kente" cloth which is meant for the Asantis'joyous and festive occasions.The venue was already full with cheering crowds waving their very white handkerchiefs to traditional music while guns are booming at the background.
The would-be king, "Äsantehene" rode into the venue in a "palanquin"acknowledging cheers from the crowd as he rode through the crowd.He makes a stop for some few minute to greet an important dignitary.After the ceremony , the king sat in state while presenting gifts to his chiefs and priests and leaves the ceremony with leaves in his mouth after the necessary rituals.It was indeed a splendid display of the rich cultural heritage of the Asanti which would not be forgotten in a short while.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About nomadictope


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.