Existing Member?

A Winding Journey With Many Stops The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing." ~Daniel J. Boorstin

Holy Land: Day 4

PALESTINE | Wednesday, 9 May 2007 | Views [630]

Today has been a long day. We had our first experience leaving the West Bank and entering back in to Israel when we went to Jerusalem for the day. The soldiers boarded our bus and asked to see all of our passports. We did not have much trouble getting through at all, because we are Americans, but I was distracted by the fact that a soldier, who looked about 3 yours younger then me was on my bus, with a giant machine gun, nonchalantly demanding random people to surrender their passports so he could examine their picture and compare it to the person.

The thought came to me, if we think this a mere annoyance, what must it be like for the Palestinians when they go through this ordeal.

This was a day of visiting churches. We went to the Church of the Holy Sepluchre, St. Luke's Syrrian Orthodox, Armenian Orthodox-Catholic Churches, Greek Orthodox and Greek Orthodox-Catholic Churches. All were beautiful and all gave me an even greater grasp of all the religious diversity that claim this troubled region. We have heard the Lord's Prayer in many languages today. English, Arabic, Aramaic, Greek, Spanish, and Hebrew, but the really cool thing was the feeling of community that you get when you hear it. Just by the way that the prayer is said, even if you do not know the language, you are able to commune with other believers. Also that sense of community with the millions of other pilgrims that have made this journey is a very powerful feeling.

In addition to our tour of many many MANY churches today, we also had a meeting with a gentleman who is head of the Ministry of Reconciliation here in Jerusalem. He is a Palestinian-Israeli who is devoted to 'bridging the gap' and working with small group reconciliation programs between Israelis and Palestinians. He says that these programs that hundred have now gone through have facilited countless new friendships across borders and created a forum for understanding. I think his work is nothing short of astounding given the circumstances, he did write a book that I bought about his ministry and I am looking forward to reading it to gain an even better understanding of the processes of reconciliation that he was discussing.

Side Note: Today it was 39 degrees Celsius. Thats well over 100 degrees and we were outside walking about virtually all day, I seriously feel like I am melting. I have a new respect for those that have to walk far distances to their jobs in this kind of heat everyday.

Tags: palestine

About nomadicsoul


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Palestine

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.