Existing Member?

A Winding Journey With Many Stops The traveler was active; he went strenuously in search of people, of adventure, of experience. The tourist is passive; he expects interesting things to happen to him. He goes "sight-seeing." ~Daniel J. Boorstin

Beginning in Belfast

IRELAND | Monday, 28 April 2008 | Views [841]

And thus starts my Irish adventure!

I have arrived safely in Belfast ready to begin a couple days of seeing stuff before heading up to Ballycastle to volunteer at Corrymeela Centre for the next 7ish weeks!

First Impressions of Ireland: (well actually, Northern Ireland!) holy crap its green here. Like, seriously, very very green. You can see pictures of Ireland and you see the amazing greenness but until you actually go there, it doesn't really comprehend that Irish green is a distinct color. The people that I have interacted with: mainly Immigration, the bus driver and the taxi guy have all been amazing. Although I can already tell that the accents here in Belfast are going to give me trouble!

Here is my short-list of stuff to see and do in Belfast:

Stay: Avenue House Guest House. It is near Queens University and it is amazing. Lovely rooms, lovely owners, wonderful breakfast and great on the wallet. Seriously. If you go to Belfast, stay there.

DO:

  1. The mural tour, but walk it. It's better. Don't go on that biga$$ red bus...its so touristy and it annoys the locals. Be friends with the locals, they are really stellar people, don't piss them off by being more of a tourist than you have to be!
  2. Go wander around Queens University. The buildings are beautiful and old and the architecture is something else. You can go in and "request" a tour or do what I did if you look even remotely college-aged and just wander around freely and talk to people. and plus...its FREE!
  3. Take the train and go visit Carrickfergus and see the Castle. It's pretty cool and its only 3.30GBP to take the train. The views are sweet and the history is pretty awesome. Carrickfergus is a fun little seaside town too!
  4. Go on the Belfast Wheel. It is in the city centre and next to the city hall building. It is just really fun!
  5. Walk around Belfast. It is a very walking friendly city and I felt perfectly safe in all the regions that I was in. The architecture is interesting, the people are fascinating and the history of the city is powerful. The botanical gardens are awesome, but be careful going in there alone at night, it has been the scene of violent crimes in the past.
  6. Belfast is a city that is trying to recover from the past and its doing a good job, you can still see the lasting memories from the Troubles but you can also see the burgeoning travel destination trade and the mix of the two makes Belfast an amazing city to visit!
  7. Watch soccer/football in one of the local pubs and get to know the culture that is the Irish/British football fans. Be warned...find out the affiliation of the pub you want to go to BEFORE you go. Otherwise you will make my mistake and wear Liverpool colors to a Manchester United pub and that is not a mistake easily forgiven by its occupants!
Ok well thats all my musing for now about Belfast. Perhaps more later!

Tags: belfast, carrickfergus, ireland, northern ireland, pubs

About nomadicsoul


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.