Existing Member?

Adventures in Wanderlust

The Beginning of Wanderlust

UNITED STATES OUTLYING ISLANDS | Tuesday, 29 April 2014 | Views [1084] | Scholarship Entry

The rickety train car shook and screamed as it barreled down the tracks. The skin on my arms stuck to the fake blue plastic seats as I skipped to the next song on my playlist. Subtle music danced in my ears as I looked outside the clouded windows. The sight of inner city apartments, pedestrians walking in perfect synchronization, and cars slowly edging along the rain soaked blacktop like lines of ants had me hypnotized.
Madi sat next to me in her black lace cardigan ignoring me and the outside world with the help of some sort of Korean techno music pounding in her ears. With her bleach blonde hair and oversized sunglasses, she looked like a celebrity on their way to rehab. She's been into the city dozens of times, which meant she could never truly understand the feeling of pure unfiltered excitement burning within me. I could barely sit still. This was it! This was the day the small town, country mouse would ditch the dirt roads and finally see a city skyline. I would finally be able to walk down any street and not recognize every soul that passed me. I've lived in an endless maze of a small town for the first 19 years of my life, but not anymore.
A sudden thud on my shoulder snapped me out of my hypnosis. "This is our stop," Madi says while wrapping up her earbuds. I didn't even realize there was a line of people standing beside me waiting to get off the train until she knocked me out of my wanderlust induced coma.
Standing up, all the muscles in my legs sing with joy. They have long awaited the joys and pain of walking never-ending city streets. Joining the departing group of passengers, Madi and I exit the train car. As soon as my black Carbon high-tops hit the long stained concrete of the train station, adrenaline shoots through my body. If anybody were to take a second to look at me, they probably would have thought I was seizing. My senses exploded with every new incoming sensation. The sounds of strangers voices, the cool sting of wind gliding along the tracks, and the unmistakable smell of a train station. I was in pure, travel induced ecstasy.
"Come on, ya toolwad. You're standing in everyone's way!" Madi hisses at me while grabbing my shoulders and pulling me up the stairs. I didn't care about anything at that point other than the fact that my big city dreams were finally coming true. With each step up into the terminal, I knew I was addicted. My name is Logan Baumunk, and I'm a wanderlust addict.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nomadicfreshman


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United States Outlying Islands

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.