Existing Member?

Nomadica

My Scholarship entry - Giving back on the road

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [112] | Scholarship Entry

How can I serve and make lasting connections while visiting foreign countries - a question which, in recent years, has become my sole impetus for travel?

Before leaving on my "voluntour" trip to Haiti, our group had a discussion around the topic of what each of us was going to share with the children in each of the three orphanages we were visiting. As a hoop dancer, for me, it was a no brainier that I would bring hula hoops - offering a bit of fun and joy to their days.

As I waited in line at the gate, I drew many a stare to the curious
black rubber lasso of the 20 foot irrigation tubing I was holding. Feeling the palpable stares penetrating the back of my head, the announcement came over the intercom: "If you spot anyone with a
curious package, please report them to security!" Knowing that my evading eye contact would only make me seem suspect, I smiled.

When we arrived at the first orphanage we were greeted by a sea of vibrant, waiting smiles. I've attempted, to explain the moment to people, being on the receiving end of such potent unearned love, having your heart blow wide open in an instant.

As I put the first hoop around my waist and began to spin, eyes widened with every turn. I knew in that moment I had made a connection. As each day passed their individual styles
began to emerge, wide legged back and fourth, scissor leg sway, over the head rodeo toss. Children I had never met before ran up to me from out of nowhere wanting to show me their skills, it was, in a word, amazing!

I have to say one of my favorite moments on the trip was strolling through town and noticing a group of three girls walking in front of us with hoops slung confidently over their arms, heads held high, shoulders back, smiles wide.

When people ask me if I think I made a difference in Haiti, I know i'll never be able to fully communicate the experience, but I know all our lives will be forever changed because of it.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2012

About nomadica


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.