Existing Member?

Shackled by Infinity

Elysian Opulence

THAILAND | Monday, 12 May 2014 | Views [86] | Scholarship Entry

A person’s first trip abroad is akin to falling in love for the first time- the exhilaration, the intense expectations, the sleepless nights of excitement and a whole new world to discover- and I was no exception to this paradigm! The first time I laid my feet on foreign soil was in Phuket, Thailand. Despite it being barely 9 pm the streets had a comforting silence. It was a 26-mile drive to Phuket Sea Resort, just opposite Rawai Beach, which took half an hour owing to minimal traffic. Facing the sea, caressed by southern breezes and nestled in the lap of greenery, the resort was the ideal recipe for a carefree escapade.

The following morning the Indian Ocean, in its majestic expanse, unveiled its dazzling visage. Roadside shops selling sea food, drinks, cheap beach-wear and a bunch of other stuff were all up and about their job. An hour later, after breakfast at the resort, my family and I went down to Karon. A riot of yellow-red festoons on food stalls splurging the sidewalks and people teeming in colorful attires, the Phuket Vegetarian Festival was on; it celebrated the Chinese community’s belief that abstinence from meat during the 9th lunar month brings good health and joy. After a good deal of searching we found a restaurant hidden from the noisy frolic and, following a light lunch, we hit Karon Beach. As it was nearing sunset there were very few people. The fiery orange of the sky against the blue waves in the horizon and the curved coastline was indeed a rich visual treat.

Our itinerary included a day-trip to Phi-Phi Island the next day, before we left for Bangkok the day after. It was a low-speed cruise which took an hour-a breathtaking hour-to reach the island. The sea, reflecting the magnificence of a thousand splendid suns, was at its serene best. On the way the cruise passed through Monkey Bay, and Maya Bay- site of the famous DiCaprio movie, “The Beach”.
To put Phi-Phi Don (one of six islands in Phi Phi) in a phrase would be ‘pint-sized paradise’. Although the throng of people proved contrary to the title, the picturesque eating places shaded by massive canopies, little shops on either side of a snake-like cobbled street, souvenir stores displaying some of the best indigenous crafts, and the heavenly coastline did justice to it. The highlight of the day-trip, however, was kayaking with dad, in the sea! What made it enthralling (and scary!) was the fact that we were absolute novices! All in all, it was the most memorable trip of my life!

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nomaddict


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.