Existing Member?

Texas Kaleidoscope Weekend trips throughout Texas, a country of its own.

Fulton Beach

USA | Thursday, 26 March 2009 | Views [490] | Comments [1]

As a California native, a trip to the beach for me always involves imagining sunny, sandy shores and pristine blue waves. Unfortunately, I picked the rainiest Spring Break weekend in recent memory for this Fulton getaway. After a winding trek through a pitch black rainy night on narrow one lane highways, we finally arrived. Fulton, Texas is a small town of just 1,500, 45 minutes north of Corpus Christi, on the coastal tip of Aransas Bay.

Rather than the usual hotel, we chose Fulton Beach Bungalows. The live-in owners host Winter Texans and travelers off the beaten path in their 11 cozy cottages. This small operation is very mom and pop, meaning it's cash or check only, and everything has a personal touch. Each cottage has its own unique charm, and all the necessities, along with beachy knick-knacks, and fishing and birding art prints (some from the likes of Fulton's own famous local artist, Popo). Our home for the weekend was lucky #11.

Despite the rain, we did manage to hit the downtown area and explore the local art galleries and shops housed in the historic buildings, like one of my favorites, the Sea Shell Shoppe. The rainy pier was gray and full of docked boats.

Luckily, we were warm and dry soon again in our little cottage. The friendly bungalow cats were determined to ignore the rain, picking their way carefully through wet streets to come sit on our porch and purr on our laps.

To spice up the cold, drizzling rain, we hit the Boiling Pot, a restaurant featuring fresh gumbo-boiled seafood served very casually. No plates, no silverware; just your hands and a bib. Countering the spice with a cold beer, I couldn't ask for a more delicious meal.

This sleepy little town has a lovely beachside drive that takes you right up to the rocky water's edge. On a gray day, the ocean and cloudy sky nearly blend together seamlessly...but I see a patch of blue on the horizon. The sun will come out tomorrow!

 

 

 

Comments

1

I didn't know Fulton Beach existed! It's nice to know that there's somewhere else in Texas to visit during beach season that probably doesn't involve beer bongs.

  Kelly Lindner Apr 9, 2009 11:17 PM

About nomadcindy

My avatar

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.