Existing Member?

Diversified Cravings

My Scholarship entry - Understanding a Culture through Food

MALAYSIA | Sunday, 25 March 2012 | Views [324] | Scholarship Entry

A group of friends dressed casually, laughing and enjoying the “fried tofu”; they seem to be those who work in one of the many semiconductor companies here. They talked loud, making fun of each other as they smile and converse in hokkien dialect. One of them waved to a girl who just came with the boyfriend. That gaze gave me an impression that the people are friendly. Since it’s just a small island, most likely everyone knows each other one way or the other in Penang.

As I made a follow-up for my "kopi peng", I spotted a couple with eyes closed while holding the knife & fork to be used for their western food in which they’re about to partake. I realized they were praying before they indulge into eating, such a noble thing to do. It reminded me of some places I’ve been in the island. The artistic, colorful temples the Buddhists and Hindus have are very impressive. The architecture of the mosques where the Muslims worship is admirable, stunning especially on a sunset. There are some buildings and shop lots with big billboards of Christian churches. Sure this place has its rich culture of religion.

The "hawker" is quite big up to the open-air dining area along the street across. Eating under the moonlight in the street is quite fascinating because you get to do a little star gazing while relishing the windy breeze. One long table of a big family was outside enjoying each other’s company as they eat "char koay how" together with kids eating their “lok-lok” food. As I glance from not a far to them, the old people’s presence stole my attention; must be the grandparents. I smiled and whispered, “Family ties and bonding are great and inspiring!”

I had my first sip of the iced coffee when my Belacan fried rice arrived. It is rice cooked with the belacan spice topped with garlic and spring onion having shredded mango, onions, anchovies and stripped scrambled egg around it. A variety of ingredients and tastes, just like the place that satisfied my diversified cravings.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About nomad_masy13

Posing with an eagle in Bohol, Philippines!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Malaysia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.