Existing Member?

In search of food and hikes around the world

Finding sanctuary

ITALY | Wednesday, 27 May 2015 | Views [100] | Scholarship Entry

My love for travel began at age 17, when I worked part time as a travel agent while going to university. Living on student budget, travel agent perks allowed me to visit a few places for almost nothing. Since then, I visited various countries and conquered 6 continents (yet to visit Antarctica).

Countless travels ventured, yet I was always with friends, family or a significant other (SO). A couple years ago, I planned a romantic Italy trip with my SO to wine and dine in the Tuscany sun. A few months leading to the big trip, the 10 year relationship suddenly ended and I was left with a non refundable ticket to Italy.

I had to make a choice... Stay home and be sad, or pull myself together and plan a solo trip for the very first time. I'm so glad I chose the ladder. Not only did the planning keep me occupied from feeling the devastation, it gave me a sense of empowerment and a purpose. My plans drastically changed to include all the things I love to do which included hiking, eating locally and festivals.

My ah-ha moment was hiking alone in Cinque Terre, one of the most beautiful hikes. I've always been afraid of hiking alone and the day I arrived in Vernazza, it was pouring rain. Whatever, I'm from Vancouver - a little rain isn't going to melt me.. I put my hiking boots on and headed for the village of Monterosso. Due to the rain, I only saw a handful of fellow hikers but I trudged on.

The next day, I hiked the other seaside towns: Riomaggiore, Manarola, and Corniglia. As I walked up the secluded trail to Nostra Signora di Montenero Sanctuary near Riomaggiore, I was terrified. What the heck am I doing walking along these uneven surfaces with no other companions in sight; however, once I reached the top of the hill, I felt a sudden calmness. Sure this trip is far away from what I had first envisioned but I'm experiencing all the things I love without having to compromise or think of anyone else.

It was truly a rewarding experience. If there is a place you always wanted to see but have put off, book that trip and adventure alone to the unknown. I promise you will meet some amazing people along the way, talk to strangers freely, hang with locals and most importantly, do anything you want at any time of the day. There were no schedules to follow a large tour group, nor accommodate a fellow companion - I was free. Standing on a hilltop at the sanctuary, that was all I felt, complete and utter freedom. I hope everyone finds their own Sanctuary.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About ninjastravels


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.