Existing Member?

Beyond Hegemonies

Beyond Hegemonies

USA | Saturday, 19 April 2014 | Views [119] | Scholarship Entry

How did I let go of hegemonies, is a story which I wish to share with you all. I was selected for a student exchange program for America and the scholarship was fully funded by the State Department of America.
I was really worried when I got to know that I was placed in Nacogdoches, Texas. I was scared that all I would do all day is be intimidated by black people but coming and living here has totally changed my perspective. I have come to realize now that they are the most cooperative and fun-loving people I have ever met. Nacogdoches and Stephen F. Austin University have introduced me to diversity. I now have friends from such diverse parts of worlds such as Congo, Nepal, India, Serbia, Tunisia, Jordan etc. Interaction with people from different parts of the world has led me to let go of my prejudices and preformed ideas and conjectures about life and life's realities. I have attended dinners, Bible studies, dance parties, birthday celebrations etc. I have realized that humans are humans no matter where you live. We have the same insecurities and aspirations. Be it Pakistan or America, people are beautiful and if we meet them without any prejudice life becomes all the more beautiful and colorful.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nimraah


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.