Existing Member?

My wonderful Lombok Island-West Nusa Tenggara

My Travel Writing Scholarship 2011 entry - My Big Adventure

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 18 March 2011 | Views [250] | Scholarship Entry

My Big Adventure
Lombok-West Nusa Tenggara

When I ask foreigners about Indonesia they are probably only recognize one name, Bali. Even sometimes some of them thought that Bali is an independent Country, not belongs to Indonesia. Actually, despite Bali there are lots of wonderful and untouchable tourism objects in Indonesia, one of them is Lombok. It is located in West Nusa Tenggara (Nusa Tenggara Barat or NTB) province, Indonesia. The provincial capital and largest city on the island is Mataram, with the total area of about 4,725 km².

I left Jakarta for almost four days to Lombok, by using domestic airlines directly to Mataram Airport. It took two hours and a half from Jakarta, I felt nervous not because the transportation I chose, but because I couldn’t wait for the big adventures of mine. I finally arrived at Lombok around 23:00 pm, and then took a bus to one of three stars hotel about one hour from the City. The next day, I went to Gili Trawangan, it is the largest island compared to two others; Gili Meno and Gili Air which are located in the west side of Lombok. It is significantly 3km long and 2km wide above the sea, populated around 800 people. In this place we can enjoy water sport activities and stay in some of exotic cottages around the island.

I was so shocked by the views; the beach was so stunning and amazing instead of beaches at Bali. I kept imagine, why Lombok was not as crowded as the neighborhood for tourist to visit; there still so many virgin and unpublicized beaches, and also some of sea shells producing beautiful pearls which often import to the outside of Indonesia and abroad. The color of the sea water is so beautiful, dominate with green combined with blue and as I went deeper when snorkeling time, I could seen many various and sophisticated fishes swim back and forth around me. Accompany with the water tour guide, I gave the fishes foods and they were all come to me, really like a dream come true. The next day, I went to the weaving village, one of the famous villages which producing special cloth from Lombok.

I learnt how to make the cloth, by using traditional equipment made from woods and I surrounded with many colorful yarn which needed to be pulled manually using my hands to form a specific pattern. We can also buy various kinds of Lombok cloth and else, nicely the owner of the shop dressed me with a traditional cloth of Lombok, and then they invited me to dance with others foreigners. After that, I directly off to township of carving clay, and again I tried to make an astray by myself. What a wonderful three days adventure I had. I think I will try another days of my holiday to Lombok again later. Be brave, take risks and nothing can substitute your experiences.’ And so, I never hesitate to take any advantages about traveling.

Tags: #2011Writing, Travel Writing Scholarship 2011

About nilam_1988


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.