Existing Member?

on the road

Hoi An

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 22 January 2008 | Views [342]

Hoi An is a small town in central Vietnam that sits on the banks of the Thu Bon River and the Pacific.  As one could imagine the food is largely from the sea and it rocks.  Maybe you didn't get that.  The food is AMAZING.  Small steamed shrimp dumplings, noodle bowls with a very unique mix of spices and fresh herb like veggies abound.  You can also get custom made anything here.  Shoes, suits, coats anything and its cheap and pretty well made.

The beach is a tranquil 5km bike ride away.  Bikes are about $.50 to rent from lots of little stalls in town.  Its a bustling little place yet it is very relaxing and calm here.  The town is small enough to walk around but there is always a motorbike driver willing if you are. 

The river bank is lined with great restaurants, many of which offer cooking classes.  Last night there was a festival at the river celebrating the full moon.  The whole scene was beautiful.  There were singers, dancers, gambling on the streets, small candles floating in the water, old men singing from the top deck of a medium size boat.  Everyone was out, even lots of little kids that I bet are drifting off at school right now.  This was really different from other nights.  (This place gets really quiet around 10pm.)

I've met some new friends here and was lucky enough to spend 4 days in a great place with good company. 

The charm of this place cannot be expressed in words, so just take my word for it.  If you ever get the chance to come out here, do not miss this place and make sure there's room in your bag for your newly made clothes. 

Tags: Culture

 

About nihau


Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.