Existing Member?

A place called “little Lhasa”

My stealthy freedom

INDIA | Monday, 11 May 2015 | Views [111] | Scholarship Entry

Wake up, we are almost here!! I heard a subtle voice calling me. Voice of the Monk! Andy, who I just met the day before. It was the first time I saw a monk wearing a short pant and a T-shirt. But he had his reasons! The bus was still moving. Passing through the spiral narrow roads curved out of the hills. We kept going uphill. It was still darkish outside but what I saw in that light of the dawn completely puffed away my 53 hours non-stop road trip’s exhaustion. I have finally reached the place.
When I Started the journey I decided to leave everything behind, my work-stress, known faces, my phone calls and anything that has been smothering me lately. While staying in Mcleoadganj, exploring the small town was part of my daily routine. Temples, monks, yoga centers, cafes, local people. I haven’t seen one single grumpy face in that place. Finally I breathed freedom; went anywhere I felt like, read books out of my genre, talked to strangers, made random friends and ate weird foods. With dense pine and deodar forests, numerous streams, cool healthy air, attractive surroundings and the nearby snowline, Dharamsala had everything I needed.
But knowing Mcleodganj is also the residence of His holiness the Dalai Lama, I always had a keen wish to meet him. I have always been a hearty follower of his ideology. But he left for Australia 2 days before I reached. I accepted the misfortune. Then suddenly one day I heard he was back and wants to hold a public session only for all the tourists visiting Dharamsala. I couldn’t be more cheerful. I rushed to buy the pass.
The next morning when I reached there. The temple volunteers made small troops with people arriving from same country. And suddenly I realized I am the only one from Bangladesh. So, had to stand with some other rare numbered like Vietnamese and Indonesians.
After he took his seat. We were asked to break the troops and sit on the floor. Suddenly we realize there were no groups or teams anymore. He with his simple words and profound observation cleared out how we all are same. Countries are just boundaries and maps are just papers. That compassion is the key to love. That 30 minutes session changed a lot in me. He made me realize that life is not that hard if you can love every bit of it, appreciate and embrace what is given to you. And leave a part of goodness in every place you go.
It has been a year, and I still feel I left a part of me in Dharamsala.

Tags: 2015 Writing Scholarship

About nigza


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.