Existing Member?

To the Beat of the Philippines

My Scholarship entry - A local encounter that changed my life

WORLDWIDE | Monday, 23 April 2012 | Views [116] | Scholarship Entry

My shuffling MP3 blended well with the vibe.I felt suited here as sugar cane and pineapple fields,and convenience store shacks broke up the paradise that rolled past while driving.I shifted my weight to turn canine with my head out the window.The lush countryside tempted me to play explorer,so I passed the hours in the Jeep acting as renowned voyager.


On my expedition,I was the first outsider to see fruit stalls teeming with rainbows of edible treasures costing meager Pisos.First to notice a Filipino trend of men folding up their t-shirts to expose half-bellies.First to slurp coffee brewed from the beans drying in the sun around my sandaled feet.First to curse the bovine owners who tied their beasts up on the side of a dangerous curve in the road.First to see Taal Volcano and its villagers who offered horse trekking to the peak.First to hear the dream of one villager-to be a pilot.


Scenery changed.My mind refocused to the current.The unblemished,organic portion of the trip mutated into urban sprawl.I observed ugly but colorful shanty-towns and slums mark their territories.I envied the residents.My personal burdens were humbled as these intellectually chilled-out natives played,worked,and loved effortlessly.


A naked baby’s body pressed against the glass of my window while paused in Manila’s core.She was hoisted up by the angular arms of older siblings as they begged for money that was later given to addicted guardians.A weight drags my heart down like quicksand after looking those kids in the eyes and carrying on with my everyday life.


I turned off my MP3 upon pulling into the record store at sunset.A new,native friend invited me to his shop to pass time before my 2 am flight.Meeting in Matabunkay,the connection had been immediate.We shared a love of music.


Evening deepened as records spun nonstop.We related joys and sorrows.We threaded together emotions I had felt just hours before while driving in southwest Luzon. I felt the oneness of beating hearts and drums.

Tags: travel writing scholarship 2012

About nicolemulhall


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.