Existing Member?

Da Search for a Canadian Mountie

Fort Langley, British Columbia

CANADA | Wednesday, 29 April 2009 | Views [216]

Fort Langley.

Fort Langley, known as the Birthplace of British Columbia is a 45 minute drive from Downtown Vancouver.  Surrounded by farm country, Fort Langley was first established in the 1830's by the Hudson Bay Trading Company and was the only european seatlement for miles.

These days if you are travelling without the luxuary of a car, it is a 2hr Bus ride. (2 Busses and a Skytrain) Although a long ride, the senery towards the end more than makes up for the bumpy journey.

The main street in town is picture perfect. Old fashioned shop fronts line the street, complete with a dash of fresh paint to make it nice for the tourists. Despite the fact that this town does draw the tourists in flocks, it has its own quiet charm and doesnt have the feel of a tourist hot spot. As you walk into one of the many antique stores along the main street you are always greated by the store attendent, who is always talking to some local personage that has just poped in for a chat. 

There are many nice restaurants and Cafe's to stop and have lunch at. Grab a table outside and sit back and watch the world hussle on by without you.

If you venture to the right of the main street, just before the railway line, you will end up at the Fort Langley Historic Site.  Entry to this site cost me $7.80CAD and included a map of the site and a video introduction to Fort Langley.  There are people dressed in period clothing who offer demonstrations of common aspects of life in the 1900's. There is Cooper's room where you can see how the barrels were produced to cary the trading goods downstream. There is a blacksmith smithy where a lovely gentleman demonstrates how they created their farming goods and axes for trade with the natives.  Full of information, and presented in a manner that is both humerous and informative, the staff at the site have got their performances down to perfection. Located next to the Fraser river, the fort offers lovely views of the surrounding area and is well worth the price of admission.

Right next door is the BC Farm Machinery & Agricultural Museum. If rusty pieces of metal are your thing, this is the place for you.

Fort Langley Historic Site is open 7 days a week, Open daily, 10am to 5pm (September 2 – June 27). Summer hours: 9:00 am – 8:00 pm (June 28 – September 1). Closed December 25, 26 and January 1st.

Fort Langley National
Historic Site of Canada
23433 Mavis Ave, PO Box 129
Fort Langley
P 604.513.4777
F 604.513.4788
www.pc.gc.ca/fortlangley

About nicole_knight


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.