Existing Member?

Wanderings

5th Dec: Yey!

FRANCE | Wednesday, 5 December 2007 | Views [608] | Comments [2]

Ok i am really sad now. I just typed out a hugely long entry - and the stupid computer... grrr. Now i have to retype it all again - not happy jan.

Now i'm sad and can't be bothered.

I am really really pumped and excited about these two coats I saw today… I am madly in love. Also, I got free pizza for lunch and icecream! Yey!

Daily Activities

This morning we had to be up and leaving CIEP at 8am – far too early! I got up at 6.45, so I wasn’t running around like a crazy woman trying to get ready in time. I even washed one of my thermals! Go me!

We went to two different quartiers – one of them was the Quartier de la Gotte d’Or, the other was around le boulevard des Baginolles et le boulevard de Clichy. We went around and visited several places where all of these artists and poets and ecrivains lived – I only recgonised two people’s names: Emile Zola (we’re studying his books) and Cezanne. I took lots of pictures for you dad. This was with M. Le Grand (remember him?) – I’m starting to like him more now as a human being, but I’ll tell you more later. Anyway, after a while of walking around parisien streets all the apartment buildings look the same – and it’s not that fascinating to know that this artist, as well as 20 million other people – lived there, in a tiny little flat, in pretty much abject poverty because they spent all of their money on Absinthe. One of the quartiers was on the edge of a “quartier sensible” which according to Sylvia is a dangerous place to go my yourself – we had one guy offer us crack, but I think he was joking – but there were a lot of African silk shops, with the most amazing products. Again, we couldn’t go there. On our way out of that quartier, there was a huge market underneath the metro station of Berbes – it stretched for about a kilometre, really cheap food – mainly fruits and vegies, there were also a few general merchandise stores as well as a couple of seafood stores – compared to the prices in the magasins, everything was a bargain! It felt more safe that the actual quartier, but again we didn’t have time to buy anything – just a quick glance. I took some photos of both it and one of the very few metro stations that is above ground.

I am getting a little tired of this whole group-learning-experience thing. You don’t have the freedom to explore the city at your own pace – you see heaps of things you’re not interested in and then you don’t see things you are interested in enough. For example, when I see a sign saying “buy one pair of boots get the second pair for 1 euro” do I want to enter? YES. Can I enter? NO. Case closed.

Then we had lunch. The walking and listening this morning was sooo boring – ana and I were itching to escape, so we started to leave in the middle of M Le Grand’s concluding speech. He actually followed us! We ended up having lunch in the same café – he was really nice, a very proper French man – wouldn’t do or say anything completely kosher – and I let ana do most of the talking. At the start, the waiter spoke to me in English – and M le Grand defended my honour – elle peut parler le francais – but the waiter explained he could see I was more comfortable in English… anyway, it was sweet. I didn’t talk much – I would have talked more if I was alone, but ana is such a talker, she always has questions and things to say. I think M Le Grand may have thought I was a mute. I had this pizza that on the menu had all of the ingredients of a capriccosa pizza – but was resoundingly not. The ham was on the crusts only, the cheese was not the shaved cheese but merely a sea of cheese in the middle, the anchovies were whole and put around the pizza to make a star pattern… very odd. It still tasted nice, and I ended up eating the whole thing. At the end, M le Grand insisted on paying! Both ana and I fought back – I told him I have a lot of money, I would prefer to pay etc but no he insisted on paying, which was very sweet and gentlemanly. Then he gave us directions to go to our next stop – l’Opéra – and went on his way. I think in Australia we would be shouting “paedophile paedophile paedophile” but he wasn’t at all. In france, I think it’s more kosher. He was very proper – you got the feeling he knew where the line was and he didn’t even come close to crossing it – but he was generally interested in what we had to say. Sylvia says he’s a bit lonely – he does ask us a lot about uni and where we live and things – I think he’s generally a nice man, and it’s good that he knows what’s ok for the situation and what is not.

Anyway, after a terrible boring morning, we went to l’Opéra. Finally, a building worthy of taking pictures! It’s this most ornate, golden, chandelier- and statue-covered place. The seats inside are red velvet edged with gold – the place is fantastic. Napo III built it – it’s been renovated and rebuilt since. Pretty damned beautiful. The guide who took us around had the strongest Spanish accent - she rolled her “r”s for what seemed like minutes, which was quite interesting to listen to. She also pronounced all of the “ch” “ct” and “qu” in French as a really strong “ch” sound as in “charles”. But it meant that some words she actually spoke with a really strong aussie accent – tres bizarre! I was, however, very pleased with my ability to understand about 97% of what she was saying. Yey me!

Then ana and I went to Zara – the shop assistants were really rude. They asked to see my ID because I don’t have my name on my ANZ travelcard when I bought a grey jumper – but then they wouldn’t explain why, they just ignored me! Then when ana tried to buy her pretty white coat (which she ditched to the detriment of the red and yellow ones she’s been debating over for what seems like centuries) they refused to use her card because it didn’t have her name – even though she showed them her passport, and her other ANZ cards with the same signature. They were really rude about it too – talking to each other about how she doesn’t understand, and even though we understand perfectly! For all those French out there: just because my spoken French is broken up, does not mean I cannot understand – I understand it perfectly, and your rude comment means I refuse to buy my 100 euro jacket from your store. Ana went to another Zara store when I went to BHV to try to get my money back.

After that, we were rather angry and annoyed and hating French customer service. Whether they’re nice and helpful really depends on their own personal preference – I would get fired if I treated customers the way that they treat us! Then to make ourselves feel better we went to Ben and Jerries – my favourite store in Paris! I had this amazing ice cream – cookie dough, and then vanilla toffee, and lemon sorbet. And then we went to BHV – and they were really good!

Trying to get my money back when they charged me twice for one purchase.

BHV, it turns out, does not have my money. ANZ took it. Whoot. I did, however, get a very nice service assistant. I went to one girl, who asked another girl, who took me to one desk and then another desk and then left me in that girl’s hands who asked another girl who told me to go to level 7, and then I waited a while and explained the situation. Even though I was annoyed that I couldn’t get my money back, I understood everything that she said and since they were relatively nice about it all after our hideous Zara experience I feel OK. While I waited and the like ana went to the Zara near BHV and got the white coat – they didn’t even ask for ID!

Then we stopped quickly at the post office and then caught the metro home. I went to the supermarket – ana went straight home – and bought water.

Philosophy of Spending

I have a new philosophy of spending. I’m not spending money on shit I wouldn’t buy in Melbourne. So that’s no to the café espresso, no to the hot chocolate, no to the croissant. I am going to spend money on food I love – food I enjoy. That means the pizza lunch and the ice-cream dinner – even if it means that because I spent money I food I enjoy I don’t eat the free food at CIEP. Because CIEP food is shitty.

This extends to clothes. I am not going to buy trinkets that are shitty and cheap. I will, however, spend substantial amounts of money on things I love – like, for example, my beautiful two coats. When I love something, it’s better to buy it than look for a cheaper version in Melbourne – because I won’t love the cheaper version as much. Also, my coats aren’t too big or thick, so they would suit Melbourne winter.

Understanding le Francais

I am very proud of myself. First, M. Le Grand this morning – I could understand him perfectly, and I asked Sylvia and she said that’s how he speaks to French students. Then the guide this afternoon, and the check-out chick this evening. I think it’s a combination of several things that means I can understand someone:

(a) Speak proper French – no slang

(b) Be educated

(c) Subject matter

The French slang is almost impossible to understand. Not because the words are weird – but because it’s phonetic. They mumble their words, forget syllables, and generally don’t try to speak – they grunt. But unlike some Melbournian teenage guys, it’s everyone who does it – not just the hormal amongst them. They make no effort in communicating. When someone is educated they use proper French.

Also, the subject matter. My vocab is so much richer and more varied on subjects like history, architecture, politics, the environment, the immigration problem etc. My everyday French is pretty bad – I had to look up what gloves were in French! So I struggle to understand general conversational French, but then at the same time I can understand intellectual stuff really really well.

Notes to Individual People

Dad – hope grandma enjoyed it, also can you take some photos of jed? Full size – not reduced? If you move the picture onto your computer and then upload it shouldn’t take as long. Xx

Aunty J: it’s ok, I brought the Paris Walks – ana and I have already put some aside to do when we’ve got the free week. Send gus good luck – I’m sure he’s enjoying himself heaps – and he’ll come back speaking fluent german!

Conclusion: i am LOVING everything today! go jackets and icecream go! yey yey yey yey yey yey YEY!

By the way, the red one costs 99 euro and the grey one 80 euro - they're absolute bargains by parisian standards!

Tags: Beaches & sunshine

Comments

1

Your comments about the boots and the second pair for 1 Euro was too funny (but all the same very sad, because you can't go in)!

Shame about the terrible Zara experience. It's one of my favourite shops, but you're too right about the arbitrary nature of French customer service...hmmm.

Have fun, and be safe xo

  Samy J Dec 6, 2007 5:58 PM

2

Hi Nic,

We had similar experiences with shop assitants in both Rome and Barcelona and new caledonia. Seems the europeans are less polite when it comes to customer service - nothing beats home.It is quite common for them to ask for id along with the credit card. I think the trick is just be rude back! Sounds like your trip is pretty full on, the positive side is at least you will get to see heaps and you will apprecaite even more the last week on your own.
We will miss you tomorrow at Scott's birthday.
Did you know that he got his full adult black belt last week? We are really proud of him and he is a very happy boy.


XXXXXXX keep having fun

Love thea

  thea Dec 6, 2007 6:04 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.