Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Days 121&122

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 22 January 2013 | Views [243]

15th 16th
Alarm set for 6, I got up but Liam was unable to get up when needed which is a common occurrence! Despite the plan to leave at 7am, he wasn't out of bed until 6.40, then went to get breakfast, which then made the kids want breakfast even though the plan was to get some on the road. So we ended up not leaving until around 7.30! Paula and I had made a load of sandwiches and sorted some food out the night before so we were all set for the 5 hour drive to the the apostles. Liam fell asleep in the front seat pretty soon into the drive, we also got stuck in traffic so I was trying to keep the kids entertained through one of my blazing headache episodes! So far it was feeling a bit stressful.
But soon enough we were on the ocean road and there was a lot less traffic around with lovely scenery. The kids were bored the whole time which was a bit disappointing as it kind of felt like the drive was purely for Liam and I which wasn't what we wanted.
However once we got out at one of the beaches they perked up and had a run on the sand and a dip in the sea. The water is so blue, the waves are massive so you get a really lovely selection of blues and whites. The limestone cliff faces are just amazing, they're just sheer drops and so high. We walked along the beach, Liam and Paula taking snaps of the kids as we went. By the time we got back to the car they were a bit better due to looking forward to getting to the next load of things to see.
We didnt stop at that many places other than a few lookouts due to only having the one day, but it was great seeing the coast line as we drove.
After about 6 hours we reached the 12 apostles, and after grabbing ice creams walked across to take a look. It was really hot and with the sun out it made everything look like a postcard picture. The rocks formations just climbed out from the sea and towered above the beach, it looked spectacular. They were individual Pieces of rock jutting out of the water, worn away over the years by the wind and sea. It's wonderful to see what nature can do given enough time.
We spent a good 3 hours wandering around the various areas, looking at the cave formations, the rock stacks, the " London bridge" which is a rock formed into an arch. We also walked down the Gibson steps to get onto the beach. The kids managed to get absolutely soaked and Liam was running around after them with the camera. We stayed down there for maybe half an hour before realising the time and heading back up.
Due to stopping off for food and how far away we were we didn't get back until around 10.45ish so we were were all very tired. I think longer to do it would have been perfect but the drive was definitely worth it, we got to see the ocean coast, drive through winding roads through the forest, see miles and miles of land seemingly uninhabited, and we also saw some kangaroos on the side of the road. And of course we got to see the 12 apostles at the end.

Dodgy stomach the next day meant a morning of not doing much. After the day yesterday we wernt really up for doing anything anyway so it didn't really matter. After the other day of trying to job search face to face and it being unsuccessful I sat myself down to the computer and applied for 10 or so jobs over the Internet. It takes a while because you need to upload slightly different versions of your details every time. Liam spent the day waiting for a phone call to find out if he has a job and watching various things on the iPad and chilling out. He didn't really even leave the room for most of the day. He did go onto the computer to upload all the shots he took of the kids yesterday which were brilliant.
We did the standard evening routine of helping prepare food, eating and playing its the kids etc before bed time story time. After the kids were in bed we all sat down to watch sky fall.
Richard and Liam left early to go to bed, Paula and I were left for the last hour or so of the film and afterwards she gave me a good back and neck rub due to the residual pain up my neck and in my head. We exchanged tips about gait and exercises to do to try and help with stuff before heading off to bed ourselves.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.