Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Days 113-116

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 22 January 2013 | Views [149]


Not really anything worth writing here for the next couple of days, bearing in mind I'm writing these days on the 22nd I can't quite remember what we did. We didn't really do any day trips apart from to the general areas. We mostly job hunted, boring stuff! I've found out that I havnt got the qualifications they look for here to work in any kind of healthcare and it would cost an absolute fortune to obtain any of the certificates. So I'm now in search if supermarket work or admin stuff, a bit gutted but what can you do. Liam is just searching for work related to his career, so fingers crossed he gets something that he wants.

Paula and the kids went into st kilda with us on the 9th, st kilda is just out of the city by the beach. It's a nice place, kind of reminds me of a slightly more upper class Blackpool in a way. It's full of mainly younger people such as our age and lower, lots of people on the beach and in the parks. There was a theme park there called Luna park, it's been open for 100 years and is quite a popular attraction. But we were just spalled by the prices. It's a very small park, you can see all of it as you stand at the entrance. The cost to get in is more than Alton towers at home for a LOT less to do. We walked around and watched various rides for a while with our icecreams before the kids headed home. We decided to stay for a while longer. We browsed the shops, looked longingly into cafes but couldn't really go in as we had paid for the kids icecreams and it was a lot of money! Liam then got a call through about a meeting regarding a possible interview in the city the day after. He was on the phone for quite some time which meant I had time to sit and people watch with luna park within sight which was great. We were sat near a field/sports pitch, people were running around it, playing cricket, walking their dogs. There was even a guy playing some kind of bongo drums, everything goes!
We got a tram back into melbourne and went into federation square. we found a nice little bar and both had a yummy hot chocolate whilst watching the birds. Weve not been anywhere yet that doesnt just allow birds in and out, youll be sat eating or drinking and little birds can be sat on the next table waiting for you to leave! We contemplated staying around for a while but with Liam's meeting early in the morning we would have an early start so decided to head back and see more of the city tomorrow.

Liam had the meeting the next day which went well and he's been told he will be put through for interview in the next few days. After that we didnt really have that much time to do anything before we met Jon and Emily. We spent some time in federation square, the cricket team were around for signings which was cool. There was a big line so we didn't get anything signed but it was good to watch for a bit. We then went in search for lunch before heading on the tram to Victoria market which we had wanted to see. Unfortunately it was closed which was really disappointing!
We wandered around various shopping places, browsing and Emily sometimes buying with vouchers she had. We went down really charismatic alleyways that are just like walking into a different country depending on what street you're on. Loads of small cafes line the paths, people playing instruments, always something to see.
I had wanted to watch bambi at the old theatre but we missed it, then Emily and Jon had to leave so it was just Liam and I again. We walked around stopping to watch various street artists and entertainers, searched for work shoes and stuff like that as well as a hair cut. We went to the immigration museum but were advised against going in at the time we turned up as it wouldn't be enough time to see things properly, so we headed off to dough bank instead and meandered around the street art and singers. It looked wonderful, the yarra river set against the rest of the city. It's all so light and calm that we've both fallen in love with it.

 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.