Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 46

VIETNAM | Friday, 2 November 2012 | Views [248]

We both slept fairly well lastnight considering the potential for disaster. The train was quieter than the last one, but we were disturbed at I think from around 5am ish by the Vietnamese men waking up. They all seem to speak very loudly, half the time I think they're having arguments when they're not. They opened the door to our room as well which let a lot of light and noise in so it was kind of a half sleep from the onwards, at least it was for me. We train was running 2 hours behind so Liam got to have more sleep and I got to read and relax for a while. Only it wasn't exactly relaxing when I could feel people watching me about 80% of the time. And every time I looked up from what I was doing at least one of them was staring at me, but there was nowhere for me to go so I just had to try and face away as much as possible and pray that there wernt any more delays.

When Liam woke up I told him how uncomfortable I was which he seemed to think was funny but I felt better once he was awake! We got off the train and were accosted by various people trying to make us get on their bikes and taxis but we dodged them all. We found a random cafe with wifi so that we could have breakfast and figure out where the hotel was. We walked or bout 45 minutes with no trouble and at our hotel very sweaty. The hotel is nice, the room has everything we need and everything is clean.

After both having well needed showers and looking at stuff we could do here, we headed out to explore the general area. We spent about 4 hours walking around like we seem to be able to do a lot these days without getting a bit bored. The beach is a 5 minute walk from the hotel and beautiful. We walked along it for quite some time just at the waters edge, the sea was a nice temperature. After eating we saw a shop and ended up buying some finger food for tomorrow, a pair of shorts or me as the ones I have don't fit right, and a top for Liam so he can have a bit more of his arms out when it's sunny. We also saw a little bowling alley and a cinema which are potentials one evening. On the way back we again walked along the beach, the sun was starting to set and a lot of Vietnamese people had come out to sit or play games in the cooler air. There were women selling food along the beach including a couple with big boiling pots cooking big lobsters and crabs. We saw a couple of lovely looking seaside restaurants but they're a bit out of our price range...maybe on our last night we can treat ourselves we will see.

After getting back to the hotel, showering and getting ready we headed out to find a restaurant. We didn't have to go far, there are quite a lot around. We went into a Vietnamese restaurant called lemongrass, I was naughty and had a cocktail and Liam had a shandy. He had pork and prawns in a BBQ sauce with rice, I had snapper fish in a BBQ sauce with veg and rice. Both were lovely. There was a waiter who had been particularly friendly from the moment we arrived who after we finished asked if we would like I look at some paintings his family do and sell. We decided we would look and ended up buying 3! They're lovely Vietnamese style paintings done on silk and will look lovely in our future home.

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.