Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 12

NEPAL | Saturday, 29 September 2012 | Views [262]

Woke up this morning clammier than ever, got up and had a shower straight after our morning chia and biscuit. Chia and biscuit is my favourite part of the day as its sort of like having a cup of tea at home and you get to sit looking at the scenery and listen to the animals.Liam chickened out of getting fully under the water because of how cold it is but I think it's quite nice after the initial shock and its really refreshing. I also borrowed their tin bowl to do a load of washing, it took about 45 minutes and was really nice to be doing something. It felt good to have nice smelling clothes hanging up to dry and good knowing I'd done it all by hand. Liam asked if I needed help but I was happy doing it myself so he started getting acquainted with the livestock.


We had breakfast of rice and lentils ( exactly the same as we have for evening meal). After lounging around a bit we decided to walk down to trishuli. It took us about an hour and a half because we have to walk down the mountain side and it's pretty hard going. I don't know how we're going to manage with the trek, the heat and the height already seem a bit much for us! We stopped for plenty of small breaks for water and to look at the views, when we reached the bottom it was our favourite part because we walked through all the rice paddies. There was also a really fun bridge like in the films that swings over a roaring river. Liam and bibas messed around on it a bit and jumped, I stayed clear whilst they were doing that!It was still about a half hour walk from there and when we got to trishuli we had a few drinks before spending a short time on the computer catching up on stuff. Before heading back we walked through the town and bought a few little snacks to take back with us, making sure to be careful what we chose because the ants get into everything. We chose biscuits, crisps and a chocolate bar each for on the way up. 


We took it easy on the way up for a while, stopping to rest under a holy tree and watching the monkeys. We filled our bottle from one of the many water pipes that the nepali people drink from and used our water purifier. We put too much in though and it tasted like chlorine so we had to go without water. Half way up we met up with one of the boys who lives a few houses across the same level as bibas, and an older lady carrying s 10kg bag on her back. They really do put us to shame, we tried to walk at their pace but it's just impossible! We were really red and out of breath and had to stop for rests. We got to a flattish spot where a load of boys were playing football, then we saw hari ( bibas dad) with the cattle watching them. He joined us on the way up taking the animals back after all day in the field.We bought some soap from them today and used it to shower with, it smells really good and lathers well too.they tried to give it for nothing but Liam insisted paying as its part of their livelihood and is about 20p for a big bar ( apparently expensive here). Some of the soap they made the other day was set so they took that out and then they will cut it in a few days time ready to pack and sell.We had a big dinner of dal baht and went over some words we had learned in the day, Liam teaching bibas some more English too. We then played cards which is always fun before they all went to bed at about 9. Liam and I were naughty today and snuggled up in the same bed for the night, i don't think we're allowed but we were just sneaky and wanted a cuddle! 


Liam bites: 7

Nicola bites: 7

 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nepal

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.