Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 311

MEXICO | Tuesday, 11 March 2014 | Views [106]

 

Friday 30th August

We didn't set any kind of alarm but because we're used to getting up so early for things we were awake by about 8 just naturally anyway. We had slept in separate beds because there were 2 queens and I had loved stretching out and slept really well. Liam on the other hand hadn't slept as well, he must have missed me!

We had a very slow morning, trying to get a kind of plan together for what we were going to do over the next week or so. Money is proving a bit of an issue now because things are a lot more expensive than we anticipated and we spent a lot in New Zealand and Australia.

The hostel we are staying in was the cheapest we could find and it was 40 dollars a night, it doesn't get much better than that either from this point onwards.

On the plus side the hostel is nice and quiet, both of us were relishing in the peace of it after being blasted by noise over the last 2 weeks. After the breakfast which was included and having a slow start we ventured out at around 10.30am. We found a Walmart so I could get some new sunglasses because my other ones had broken a couple of weeks previously, and some more sun cream.

It was very hot and sunny and the place has a very touristy vibe in that you can just feel people go there for a 2 week holiday. We decided to find a bus which went to the hotel zone to look around, once on it we had 20 minutes or so to sit and relax a bit whilst taking in the sights. The hotel zone is lots of very big very expensive looking hotels which you would stay in on an all inclusive kind of holiday. It was good to look at and see how other people are seeing cancun. We stopped off at a shopping complex called Liverpool, which was almost like a little village. It had streets and bridges going over water, and a nice little area looking out over the water with fish in it. We didn't buy anything but it was nice to look around.

Then we walked more to find public access to the beach, once we found it we just couldn't believe our eyes. We walked up over a wooden boardwalk and were greeted by pristine white sand and blue sea like you see on holiday brochures. We really weren't expecting it at all and were sorry we hadn't taken our beach stuff out with us! The blues of the water were just beautiful, the best blues I've ever seen in the sea before bar maybe the Maldives but its on the same level. The beach stretches as far as you can see in either direction with a row of hotels all the way along it. We spent some time just relaxing and admiring the view for some time before walking up the beach the way we had come on the bus. Liam wasnt even convinced the sand was real because it was so perfect, it was almost like sugar with no bigger bits in and no shell fragments, and it was kind of cushioned so your feet sunk into it for about a cm before it was greeted by harder sand underneath. It felt like heaven!  

We were people watching as we went, watching people getting waited on hand and foot from their hotels. Some of them were magnificent with 4 poster beds on the beach front and infinity pools and all sorts. Some were in the sea enjoying the water and others were doing water sorts like jet skis and the gliding.

There were birds around too diving into the water and coming out with their prizes. We must have walked for almost an hour before we came across an exit point because you couldn't just go through the hotels. A bit of walking later and we were back on the bus going to Walmart to pick up some bits to cook for tea at the hostel.

Nothing much to say for the rest of the evening really, we made sure we were showered and packed, cooked food ( after Liam had gone to buy more sauce because we dropped the first jar and couldn't fish out all the glass), and figured out the next days plan, that kind of thing. All in all it had been a nice day and we were looking forward to coming back to have a proper day on the beach. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.