Existing Member?

Nicola and Liams Adventure

Day 303

NICARAGUA | Tuesday, 11 March 2014 | Views [137]

 

Thursday 22nd August

It was time to leave again but we wanted to go back to Kathys Waffle House again because it had been so good the other times. Liam had bagels again, I tried the chocolate pancakes but wish I’d had the bagels!  We went back to the hostel to pick up our bags and had a 10 minute walk in very hot weather to the station. 10 minutes doesn’t sound so bad but with the weight of our bags and the heat its not that easy. There wernt any signs, which seems to be a very popular problem in these places considering things like so called major bus stations for the area are random spots at the side of the road, so it was a little difficult to find. It didn't make it easier that there was a market going on in the streets so they were packed with people and stalls. The market looked quite good, certainly better than the other one we had gone to. We would have felt safer to get the camera out and get some shots so we were a bit gutted we hadn't been made aware of it before we left but never mind.

We arrived at the bus station ( which wasn't a bus station it was just a bit of road in the middle of a market), and got approached by a man shouting the name of where we were going and grabbing our bags. It was all very fast but the bags got put into the bus and we got shoved in and sat down and away we went. Luckily I managed to get a seat, mainly due to a man letting me sit, but Liam ended up standing for the whole 1.5 hour journey. We were next to a tour group of some older people, mainly kiwis, and I was sat next to a German guy who claimed he'd been travelling pretty much none stop for the last 20 years. Liam got talking to a man in his 60s and a Scottish guy around our age for the whole journey and we ended up sharing a taxi with him and his new wife to the ferry. We were sat together for the ferry journey and talking quite a bit but at the other side we parted ways.

We knew who we were looking for despite the dozens of people bombarding us with information about this hostel and that hostel being very good price very cheap! We saw the lady we were after who we had read was the sister of the owner of a hostel we'd seen. She directed us to the hostel and joined us some of the way on her scooter to keep us company and make sure we got there.

It's a nice place really, it's a small town on an island called Ometepe, which has 2 active volcanoes on it. The islands so small you can always see one of the two no matter where you are. The hostel we booked into was cheap and cheerful, and we spent the evening lounging in hammocks reading. We went out to eat and found a place owned by an English guy who gave us a few pointers on what we could maybe do. He also did really nice food, he had proper bread which is extremely rare in developing countries. They all seem to have horrible really processed white, thin and sugary bread. He had spent time teaching a local baker how to make bread different using the grains they have available and using whole wheat flour so they have their own bread for the cafe.

Once back to the hostel again I applied for some ot job stuff whilst Liam spent the evening in a hammock on his iPad. 

 

 

Travel Answers about Nicaragua

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.