Existing Member?

move

To the Ocean

MOLDOVA | Wednesday, 7 May 2014 | Views [218] | Scholarship Entry

Sleep. I never missed it so much, and the pain in the back was horrible, missing sleep made me feel a constant horrible pain. Not more than 4 hours in a row for almost 40 hours, not at least once lied on my back. If I had to pick one word to describe the trip Chisinau-Kiev-Rome-São Paulo it would be pain, or maybe itches, especially from the yellow fever vaccine – I was dreaming to be a cat, to be able to scratch myself in places people cannot.

Airports. I love the airports. Otherwise I would not be able to spend all the hours alone, waiting for the next plane. The smell, the coffee that is way more expensive than anywhere else on the planet, and most of all, I like watching the people. I will probably never meet them again, but I can imagine their stories: some can be spies, some may be lovers heading for a secret getaway. I love when I get the chance to know some of them and hear their story. Although the stories are not all like a movie or a novel, but most stories are much better that I would imagine.

I spent five hours in the airport in Kiev, three in Rome, fourteen hours in the air and thirteen hours in the bus. But it was definitely worth it!

I think that was the way Columbus felt when he stepped on the shore of Americas, only that I discovered a whole new world, that is now a lot similar to the civilization I come from.

I quickly discovered that football was the local main god. The traffic was like every driver dreamed of killing me. The taxi driver was very closed to make three accidents during our trip to the hotel, but this is not what I remember the most.

I was impressed by the gangs, and particularly about one of the neighborhood boys who liked my hoodie(I hope he keeps it even today). I was amazed by the trees that were as big as they were back home when I was 6 years old, and I loved the Ocean.

The Ocean made me forget the lack of sleep, the pain, and the itching. I was standing in the ocean during the Brazilian winter, while the entire city was at a football match, praying to their god. I was alone with myself. I was happy.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About nicolaeapostu


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Moldova

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.