Existing Member?

Nic is ....

In Preparation

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 15 August 2014 | Views [254]

I have wanted to live and work in the UK for as long as I can remember. This year was when I finally got my shit together enough to actually do it. Several days ago, after months of quiet planning and preparing, after waiting with baited breath to see if my visa would be approved and getting everything sorted, I flew out of Brisbane with two friends.

 

Getting a working visa is relatively easy but can be a massive pain. I am lucky enough that I qualify for an Ancestral visa (parent of my parent was born in the United Kingdom), but there are a few other visas that can be applied for to live/work in the UK as well (Tier 5 is the standard - this gives the visa holder 2 years to live and work). Being that the visas are quite fiddly, there are many immigration assistant companies who, for a fee, can assist with the smooth application process. I went through 1stcontact.com myself, but another provider I've heard great feedback abut is britbound.com. It really is up to your own personal preference who you use, but I would suggest looking thoroughly at what services are provided and for what cost - and is the cost in pounds stirling or Australian!

A quick idea of what I needed for my application -

 - Current Passport + any previous passports

 - Proof of +$4000 AUD in my bank account

 - Birth certificates for myself, my parent and their parent whom I was claiming ancestry through

 - Bank statements for the last 6 months

 - Current resume and 2-3 jobs advertised that I would be able to apply for

 - Completed application form

 - Resilience to see it through and to say farewell to family and friends if successful

 

There were a few other paperwork like things needed as well, but more importantly was the ability to part with loved ones. It's a huge thing to be able to do, and not necessarily as easy as some may think. You are leaving them. You will not see them in person (Skype/FaceTime does not count) in a long while. You can't call up your best mate or your mum just to tell them you're coming over, or that you're bored, or even that you bought a bag of their favorite flavour popcorn from the shops while yu were there and they need to come get it as you've done the hard part. It really is a big step, and one that needs a lot of thought gone into it. Having said that, if the opportunity comes by you should take it! I don't want to be an old lady thinking "I wish I'd given it a go".

 

Insurance - GET SOME.

Job - don't necessarily need to have one set up before you go, but definitely put some thought and research into it. The occupation you work in at home may not easily translate over - as in yu may not have the qualifications needed for the job in the UK. Also, check that the approximate salary is something you can work with.

Accommodation - don't forget to sort something out at least at first. I've spoken to a few people who were so excited about getting everything else sorted, they realised on the final plane leg that they had forgotten to book a roof over their heads. AirBNB is a great option if you don't like the idea of the mixed bag that is cheaper hostels, but hostelbookers.com is a great way to source out prices. When looking through hotelscombined, lastminute etc, I suggest to check out the actual hostel/hotels website as well as this can sometimes work out cheaper. I booked through hostelbookers for a hostel in Berlin for a few days prior to a group tour, then through the hostel direct for a few days after and got the best prie both times by putting some legwork in.

 

Most of all, enjoy the process! If you're panicking or nervous the entire time, it takes the fun out of your upcoming adventure. You're changing your life, remember to breathe!

 

 

Tags: 1stcontact, airbnb, britbound, uk, working visas

About nic_is


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.