Existing Member?

That eventful outback trip

Camping in a SWAG

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 17 April 2014 | Views [358] | Scholarship Entry

3 day camping tour to the Outback you say?
Visiting the legendary Red Centre in Northern Australia...
The breath taking Uluru, beautiful Kings Canyon, exciting camel rides, sounds perfect... and in fact it was!
Only thing we failed to research thoroughly was the one of a kind 'swag' bag. Now myself and a friend naturally thought that camping involved the use of a tent, but apparently that's not how they do things in OZ...oh no...
Now don't get me wrong sleeping under a sky full of stars in what i can only describe as a sleeping bag (on the hard, bare ground) is quite spectacular, but take note..The outback in June at night IS chilly, so wrap up warm and don't only take cardigans with you, because you are a naive European who thought it's Australia...always hot...right?!
I can safely say that i did not get a wink of sleep, my friend included who muttered to me every 5 seconds "Are you asleep yet?" Also the fact that they were feral cats running around and scuttling in the bushes, with their bright luminescent eyes shining in the pitch black is enough to scare the bravest of the brave.
Now all is said and done I fully recommend this crazy experience and wouldn't have done anything differently!
Sitting around the campfire, sharing stories and laughing with people from all over the world, is something that was truly unforgettable and worthwhile.

Tags: 2014 Travel Writing Scholarship - Euro Roadtrip

About ngill


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.