Existing Member?

Challenges and rewards

Catching a Moment - A few seconds of happiness

WORLDWIDE | Friday, 19 April 2013 | Views [180] | Scholarship Entry

“In a few minutes we should be at the top”, Leonie shouts. She is 20 meters ahead of me.

For over three hours we are on our way at the Tongariro Crossing on the North Island, New Zealand. The weather is perfect. Sunny 25 degrees, soft breeze. The first part of the track was easy walking along a small river. Waterfalls every now and then, narrow green bushes, little rocks. The second part was accumulating over a few hundred meters of height over large wooden stairs. They were filled up with gravel and fixed with chicken wire. The walk was steady and easily accessible but a bit exhausting due to the acclivity and the heat. I was resting every now and then, filling my dry mouth with water from my bottle.

The third part was like being on the moon. Plane fields, one kilometer walk without a single bend, a single bump, only a straight path on a vast grey field. No sign of vegetation at all. The moon ended on a steep, rocky mountain range with only a small path alongside the rocks. People were climbing up and at the same time others were finding their way downhill, returning from an early morning hike, passing each other with care.

It’s the last part of the track before we would reach the top…
The rocks disappear, the ground is just gravel now. No tree to hold on tight. I climb up further. The sun is burning, it’s around noon now. Next to me a young Chinese woman is sliding down the steep path. She is dressed in trousers and a yellow pullover. Her facial expression is changing between excitement and respect as she loses her footing. In between I can see a glimpse of fear.

Her boyfriend is reaching out his hand, helping her to strike the balance. Seeing her slide makes me feel uncomfortable but I climb up further and further. My friend is 10 meters ahead now, she’s turning again. “Only a few more meters”, Leonie says. I move slowly forwards. My hands try to find a tight hold on small stones on the ground as gravel is gliding under my feet.

In between the mountain range suddenly three clear blue lakes turn up, giving the scenery an incredible beauty. I’ve never seen something a quarter as beautiful so far. Soaking up the purity of the landscape I stop to THINK, I just FEEL. I feel freedom. I feel clarity. Pure happiness. It’s just me.

I stand at the top of the mountain with a big smile and forget for a few seconds the whole world around me.

Tags: Travel Writing Scholarship 2013

About newzealandadventures


Follow Me

Where I've been

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Worldwide

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.